Chapter 9 - Roast Battle 2.0

*three days later*

Scrolling through Twitter on my phone and succeeding in drowning out my seventh hour teacher's voice, I came across a very interesting post from June Winston herself. It had over two hundred retweets, and tons of comments. It read, 'remembered some interesting dirt on aveline summers recently. if you wanna know it, come to the football field today after school.' I looked it over once more before deciding to check the comments.

I looked over tons of people arguing over what it was the June was so keen on telling everyone. I knew plenty of things about her that I could spill, but in racking of my brain I could find nothing about myself she would know. The bell rang out just as the teacher had started yelling at me for being on my phone even though I was using it the entirety of the period.

I shot out of my desk, only leaving behind an old broken pencil. My teacher sighed and sat down at her desk as I shouldered my way out of the room.

"Aveline!" I heard a voice call out from somewhere in the crowd of seniors surrounding me. I decided to not care and ignore it as I made my way to the football field. I was planning on going to battle the second time by myself, especially considering I hadn't even told Sam and Hazel about the note. "Aveline Summers!" I heard a shout for the second time.

I whirled around with an annoyed expression on my face to see Samantha. Looking down at her mildly short figure, I could see that her arms her crossed and her eyebrows were raised.

"Care to mention why you never told Haze and I about this 'Roast Battle 2.0'?" She questioned, using finger quotes. I shrugged and turned back around to continue to the field. I felt a hand clasp around the back of my shirt and a sharp tug. Pivoting so I faced Sam again, I sent her a glare, readjusting the back of my bra shamelessly. "Were you planning to go out there all alone?"

"What's with all the fucking questions?" I retorted, walking backwards and running into people. Samantha mimicked my death glare with one of her own.

"I'm coming with you," She declared after a few seconds of awkward silence and intense eye contact. "Considering I saved your ass last time."

I let out a cynical guffaw. "You absolutely did not. I was doing perfectly fine before you came in."

"Why did you ask me to come with you then?" She grilled cheekily.

"I didn't," I replied matter-of-factly. Samantha gave me a questioning look, which I shot back with furrowed eyebrows of my own. "You were the one who announced that you were good at arguing therefore you should join me. I was too lazy to refuse."

Sam looked slightly hurt before she masked it over just like I did if any emotions managed to creep up. She gave me a long sigh before replying stubbornly, "And I'll battle with you again this time. You have no choice."

By the time we were finished with our very lovely conversation, Samantha and I had reached the ring of students on the football field. I began getting deja vu of the last time I was entering the circle of humiliation.

I gave June a menacing smirk once I spotted her, that she surprisingly mirrored. I passed through the parted sea of 12th graders, meeting June and Julia in the middle for the second time that month. For some reason, though, neither of the girls were looking nervous. I felt a gross, dreadful feeling in my stomach, but ignored it as usual.

Samantha slid her eyes into suspicious slits before leaning over to whisper in my ear. "They look really confident," I nearly couldn't hear her through all of the chatting that was going on around us. With a slight nod from me, Sam seemed remotely satisfied, returning to her original position of giving the J twins a deadly glare.