Chapter Thirty-Two: Jamie

I thank the universe
for taking away
everything it has taken
and giving to me
everything it has given
Balance- Kupi Kaur

"Is it really happening?"

Dark Caribbeans glare daggers. If looks could kill ,I would be ten feet under right now. Not six, but ten.

"Where is she? Where is my midwife?!" She barks. "I need my midwife." She whimpers rubbing her stomach.

Baby Jamie could not wait another week. He wants out. He is obviously a week early, but somehow still right on time. It it the most beautifully unexpected things in the world.

Karen's contractions, or lack there of, went nearly unnoticed yesterday evening. She was her usual flamboyant self for most of the night well into this morning. Out of the blue, Karen was cringing in pain and barking for a midwife.

There have been two false alarms thus far, as each time we were readying for baby Jamie's final arrival, it was simply Karen's bowels getting the best of her. She has cried wolf so many times, that that everyone is certainly unsure of what is exactly happening at this point. Everyone being, Bryan, Timothy, and our mother.

Our verbose mother finally shied away from her burrow in Washington. She surprised us all - Karen and I - right after Mrs, Ashely's leave. One unexpected mother left and another arrived. The irony.

Unlike Timothy's mother, my dear beloved mother did not take a quick liking to Timothy. My mother is a bit of a traditional Irish woman. She never truly indulged in the thought of dating outside of our race or country for that matter.

It took her two days to resonate with the fact that Timothy and I are an interracial couple. She didn't want to believe her sweet Autumn broke a family tradition. Even Karen, who is happily married to a partial Jew, was able to get a slap on the wrist for "breaking tradition".

I avoided the topic altogether when mother began her Irish prayer about her parish of a daughter. Eventually, she did come to her senses the second day and has even lightened up to Timothy after finding out he's a doctor and a "mama's boy".

"Karen! Hush my sweet, you're going to agitate the little lamb." Mother enters the bedroom.

Karen adverts her gaze from our grey haired mother and looks at her quaking hands. Her pale cheeks are flushed a deep crimson and her auburn hair is a matted mess behind her. She looks terrible, but in the most indescribable way, she looks absolutely gorgeous.

Her eyes carry this certain light and she smells distinctly of warm lavender. Karen has always been a beauty, but pregnancy has made her radiant.

"Mom. I'm hurting. I'm hurting so bad, please let me cry." Karen cringes, wheezing out an unhealthy breath.

Mother smiles at our poor Karen and places a steaming towel over her forehead and pats it over her lightly.

"Worry not my sweet. This little lamb will be worth it. Now hush, dear." She soothes.

I smile at the scene.

Mother and daughter. I've always admired mother and Karen's bond. Karen is so much like our mother and I believe mother knows this. Which explains why mother is always hovering and pestering Karen.

She even lives vicariously through Karen. Sometimes I fear that their bond is a bit strange, but then I conclude that mother is just like any other mother in the world.

She wants the best for her children and especially for her first born, Karen.

A calloused palm weaves its way into my hand, causing my smile to widen. I missed him.