Chapter Twenty: "Yours." - "Mine."

He caressed me with his words. He lulled me to sleep with his promises. He changed me with his eyes. He showed me the world I unfortunately forgotten. He revived a fire that I extinguished long ago. He banished the negatives. He set me free.

Traveling outside the world of sunshine and clear skies only to trade it for misty rains and wet pavements was not ideal. But as soon as I disembarked the SUV, I warmly invited the change in climate. The slick-grey sheen was initially an unorthodox change to adapt to but I admired it nonetheless.

The city of Portland has a lot of character. And although it has taken a bit of nursing to wrap my head around the fact that I have yet to see the sun, the city's character is oddly refreshing. Therefore I inhaled the new world that is in great contrast to my own. The contrast could not be any more inspiring.

"Are you going to go out or continue staring out the window like an amazed puppy?" He chuckles, eliciting an eye-roll on my part.

I force myself away from the window, playfully glaring at the ignorant man.

"Well excuse me for not have traveled like you." I retort, plopping onto the warmly inviting queen-sized bedding.

"I am a doctor who has saved up enough of my salary to earn the right to travel. You can do the same." He defends, joining me.

I lean back onto the bed, closing my eyes in order to let the comfort envelope me. I had an exhausting ten-hour ride here. Instead of catching my flight as I originally planned, Timothy and Karen decided it would be best that I drove. The trick was, Timothy would be my driver.

Apparently, he discovered that he could not book a flight around the same time as mine, so he decided he needed to make a drastic decision. With the permission of my sister and her gracious information on my travel time and any other pertinent information he needed, he was able to calculate everything in order for his plan to be successful - so here we are.

"You are also a doctor who kidnapped me for a ten-hour car ride to Portland. I could've ridden a plane for an hour to get to here!" I deadpan, sitting upright.

He glances at me sideways, trying his darndest to hold his glare before he burst into light chuckles. I couldn't even hold back my own laughter as I shook my head at our childish ways.

"But you have to admit, it was worth it. Spending all this time with me." He teases, lightly nudging me with his shoulders.

I roll my eyes, feigning disgust by the idea.

"Yeah right lad, cop onto yourself."

"I may not know what that means, but I am taking offense by it. You can't keep rejecting all of this, woman." He pushes, rolling his torso awkwardly.

I analyze his moves silently for a moment, trying my best to take him seriously. But as routinely, I fall into a world of cackles at his failure to impress. Leaving the poor lad to look on with a glint of confusion and maybe even merriment.

"Laugh all you want. You want this." He tries again.

"I--" I pause to catch my breath. "I do not want that."

"Okay, But you are missing out on a lot, Sapphire." He protests.

"That's gas, you couldn't hurt a fly!" I tease, slapping at his thigh for effects.

His playful glare quickly turns mischievous once he lays a firm palm over my hand, confiding it to his thigh. My laughter instantly falls silent, my eyes solely focused on his. A smirk soon follows his mischievous glint, a sign that he does not plan on removing our hands anytime soon.