Chapter Fourteen: Falling Grey

When admitting to yourself that your fears are just doubts in your life, denial of what truly is sets in. Avoidance becomes a commodity and lying to yourself becomes the only resolve. But even with all the effort you put into dismissing these fears, you will always eventually face them head on.

"So... Is there anything you want to share with me?" Karen asks, her eyes playful and assuming.

It has two weeks since I last visited or spoke to Karen. I have been pretty occupied with Timothy's article and Timothy himself. Aside from actually being busy, I also wanted to allow Ryan to enjoy his wife without her younger sister interrupting.

I am surely glad that I did because apparently in my absence my sister and Ryan decided to begin a new chapter.

She called me earlier this afternoon, frantically screeching about a new change in her life.

Although she sounded more terrified than anything, I know all too well that she is elatedly anxious. The feeling is mutual for her husband and  I as well. I will soon be an aunt and he a father.

"Nope. I want to talk about you and your huge news. I can't believe you're pregnant!" I smile adorning the news. "A lot can happen in two weeks I guess."

She gives me a knowing glance before giving in, placing a gentle palm on her stomach. I return her smile, my heart warming knowing that my sister's number one prayer has been answered.

"Yeah. It can." She answers dreamily. "But you're not off the hook. I want an update on you and Timothy. What has happened for you two in two weeks?"

Before I can even control it, my cheeks flush a light crimson. I try to hide my flustered state by lowering my gaze. But I am no match for a newly pregnant Karen.

She reaches over and gently lifts my chin, a small smirk spreading her grin wider.

"What happened? What has he done to make you look like a tomato?"

"Nothing, nothing at all," I answer honestly.

I believe this is why I open up to him so easily. He eases my burdens with a simple smile. He calms my endless thoughts with a simple touch. He makes me feel secure. He does all this without an ounce of effort.

I often find myself wondering what him actually putting in effort looked like. If his simple acts of chivalry and kindness are simple now, I want to stick around for the full experience later.

Karen shifts in her spot on the couch, her smile still warm and her eyes sparkling a bit more than usual. She breaks into a soft giggle before clapping her hands and pinching my arm softly.

"You're in love! How did he do it? I need to meet my brother-in-law!" She squeals, pinching me again. "When can I meet him?"

My cheeks grow hotter, my heart thumping anxiously at the mere thought of allowing Timothy and Karen to meet. I am pretty sure that the two would get along quite well, but I don't know if I am ready for that yet.

Timothy and I have not even defined our relationship. I do not even know if I can even call what we have that. I am especially unsure if I am ready for that.

It is too soon,  Autumn.

I nod silently chewing on my bottom lip. It is too soon. Spending a month or two together does not equate to a noteworthy relationship.

"I don't think you ever will." I sigh, growing frustrated with my sudden dilemma.

Karen's stitches her eyebrows together in confusion.

"What? I don't understand. You are clearly happy with this man and I want to meet the man causing this happiness." She stresses.

I roll my eyes.