Chapter Fifteen: Plague of O'Brien

When solitude is found in the present, the past almost always returns. The past steals all, leaving a prompt reminder of the yesterday forgotten.

His grey irises dare me to challenge him. His grip of my arm loosening as he chuckles at my dismay.

He has won again.

"I find it really fucking funny that you always want to pick fights, knowing you will loose." He chastises me.

I remain silent, praying to a holy spirit that I cannot see. I pray that the Holy spirit will have enough mercy to free me.

"I hate when we argue, Autumn. I really do." He continues, releasing my arm altogether.

As if the freedom of my arm meant nothing more to my detriment, I release a weak sigh, still feeling trapped.

He takes a step back, glancing at his hands as if a fire were blazing there previously and he is finally noticing the asphalt. If the metaphorical realization unnerved him in any sense of the word, he does not reveal it. Instead he chuckles coldly before I feel his hardening gaze on me.

"You know I love you, right?" He sighs defeatedly.

This time I dare myself to look him in the eyes. The same beautiful grey eyes I once adored. Now those eyes bare witness to my emotional agony without a glint of remorse.

"Fuck you." I dismiss his statement, spitting in his direction.

He is fortunate enough to only have me miss him by a few inches.

A smile spreads his lips. The smile is crooked, sinister even. I sometimes forget how much of a maniac this man really is.

He takes a few strides toward me, his eyes focused and his sinister grin gone. I retreat my steps in the response, knowing what to expect when he is close enough.

"You bitch." He grunts just before snatching me towards him.

My body stiffens. My heart thumps erratically. My mouth turns dry. I am terrified out of my wits end. I want to run but my body is not responding. I want to disappear, but mother nature has omitted that. The worries of my sister forgotten.

He crosses the street with ease. His grey eyes meeting mine every once and awhile before a pedestrian walks in front of him. For a moment I convince myself it is a bad dream. This is all a very terrible nightmare. I will open my eyes and he will disappear.

I close my eyes for a moment, childishly trying that theory. And when I open my eyes, he is closer than before; only five strides away from me.

Run, Autumn.

I nod at my consciences advice and turn to my left, making a quick sprint for a nearby cafe. My heart beating sporadically, my lungs threatening to give out any second now. But I keep pushing.

My eyes scan the area, everything becoming a radical blur around me. My mind is trying to make sense of what my heart has already finalized. I need to escape him and fast.

I shuffle through the endless sea of people, cursing San Francisco's lunch hour for occurring at such an untimely hour.

I make out a nearby café sign; Perfectly Nummy. I smile at its familiarity. He will not find me here. He cannot find me here.

I glance behind me, checking just to make sure my assumptions are correct. I discover nothing but the back of passing pedestrians heads. This only causes my smile to widen as I slip inside.