𝟎𝟖𝟕: 𝐀𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬.

"Dude, where is he?" Pope stressed loading the final crate on food onto the boat

"Give him a second. He'll be here." JJ reassured trying to ease everyone's nerves. Out of the group the blonde looked the calmest but it was all a lie. He was terrified, he wasn't sure if the girl he loves is going to leave with her brother or stay on the island and the thought of losing her even if it was only for a few months made his stomach churn.

The sound of sirens approaching caused them all to panic.

"JJ!" Kie patted the boys shoulder.

"Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat." He pushed both girls onto the boat wanting to make sure they were safe and then began untying the rope. "Wait." JJ breathed in disbelief at the sight of his best friend hopping out of the drivers seat of a cop car.

"No f'ing way."

"You've gotta be kidding me." Kie laughed.

Saylor sprinted to her brother slamming herself into his chest. He was fast to wrap his hands around her and hold her close. The entire time he was on the run he was terrified she would get hurt.

Once Saylor pulled away Kie then took her place and hugged her best friend knowing what was going to happen next.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ dangled the keys in front of the brunets face. "You ready to go?"

"Where's Sarah?" John B asked with a dazed look on his face. He visibly paled once he realised she wasn't there.

"She's not with you?"

"No, we got separated in the swamp.She said she'd meet me here." The Routledge boy explained.

"No, we haven't seen her." Pope informed.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her."

"John B, look at me. I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?" JJ patted his face so that he was focused on what he was telling him.

"Brownsville." John B mumbled in reply

"All right. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this." The blonde pushed him by his shoulders onto the boat.

The second his feet came into contact with the boat floor not only his eyes but everyone else's moved to Saylor.

The time had come and she had to make a decision, the worst one she had ever had to make.

She looked between her friends and her twin with tears in her eyes and kept her gaze with her brother when their brown eyes met.

"I can't go with you" she took a deep breath, tears threatening to spill. " I was on that airstrip and I know what happened and that makes me a witness which means I can clear your name. And I could talk to Rafe... convince him to tell the truth... I could-." Saylor rambled as the tears fell down her face. She only stopped when she felt hands on either side of her face.

"Hey, it's ok. I understand." John B nodded his own salty tears rolling down his cheeks. "But promise me you won't talk to Rafe, i don't care if that means you can't clear my name, he's dangerous and I don't want you getting hurt"

"I-."

"No waves, promise me". He begged.

"I promise." And she meant it, she had no intention of going against his wishes.

Both twins knew if they hugged now that they wouldn't let go of each other so instead held out a pinkie each.

They linked their pinkies and smiled the best they could. "Always" they spoke in unison.

˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ