LXXIII

LIA

The crime scene has been vacant for a day now, but I was there from the first minute: the incriminating evidences were well hidden - so much that, as a matter of fact, I almost missed the key evidence.

When Sheriff Julie Johnston arrives at the scene of the crime, she immediately walks toward me and asks:

"Wälti, 'sup?"

"Blood tests and fingerprints came back baring some good news: the victim's name is Alonso Figueras, and he is notably known for his big role in the O'Hara clan" I briefly summarise, before turning toward the body, that has been covered by now. The blonde still stares at me, as I continue: "Analyses confirmed cause of death: two bullets where his eyes were, obviously removed before he got shot."

"Any other useful information?"

"Yes, we found this (I carefully hand her a piece of evidence wearing gloves - a prepaid phone that had been analysed overnight at the lab) which came on handy, since we found out the last person he called was... drumroll..."

"Kelley O'Hara" the sheriff guesses, as I nod.

I nod as well.

"Looks like the Queen of the South has something to do with The Patriarch group, and it's no coincidence that she is back in town at the same time that poor Alonzo lost his eyes, as well as his life."

"Thank you, Lia." Julie coldly says, before turning toward some of our other co-workers. 

After taking the last crime scene photo and making a last ground of eying around, I just order my guys to transport the body to the morgue, as well as the cleaning team to remove blood from the impressive manor. 

As I am about to leave as well, I hear footsteps behind me, and when I turn around I realise that it is the sheriff again.

"Just so you know" Julie very seriously says, staring right into my eyes, "I have ears everywhere. So if I find out that you talked about the other night's... incident, let's say, it will have serious consequences."

I smirk.

"Jules, you were drunk and-" I start, amused.

"Shh" the sheriff orders, obviously scared to death that someone else would hear what happened. After looking around, she grabs my arm and brings me somewhere quieter, before continuing: "This is very serious, Wälti."

"I know" I reassure her, before getting away from her embrace as she was grabbing my arm too tight. 

She shakes her head. 

"No, you don't know..." the blonde insists, setting her jaw, "you have no idea the kind of pressure I am under now, and adding you into the mix would just blow everything up!"

"Julie" I interrupt her, frowning, "I haven't done anything."

"Yes, you have" she aggressively says, before grabbing my arm again. I as look straight into her eyes, she hisses: "You haven't stopped me, you-"

"You were drunk, and you talked about your feelings, Julie: nothing bad has happened! You are a human being with emotions, and we've known each other since birth so I could tell something was off with you lately either way!" I exclaim, raising my voice a little.

Before I can say anything else, Julie urgently puts her hand on my mouth, before pushing me against the wall. We remain in that position for a while, very close to each other, as some of our co-workers were passing my the door of the room we were in, discussing their Friday night evening very loudly. 

As soon as they are gone, Julie - her hand still on my mouth - aggressively whispers:

"Everything I said was a lie, Lia! I don't feel anything - I am not allowed to have any sort of... feelings for anyone. And you are no exception."

I get out of her embrace, grabbing her wrist so that her hand wouldn't be on my mouth anymore, losing patience.

"Is all that fuss about me not responding to what you said ?" I ask, highly confused.

Julie rolls her eyes.

"No, of course not!" she says, and everything in her told me she was lying. She was playing the badass girl, but deep down she was just hurt, which shows when she continues: "I just thought that, after a 20+ years friendship, you would at least take the time to tell me that everything I said was dumb! I mean, I never should've told you how I felt, when I myself isn't sure of how I feel ! Plus, you haven't even said anything back, so now-"

"Hold on" I interrupt her, shaking my head, "you have been the once avoiding me ever since! I've tried everything talking to you, but every damn time you ran away! What is your problem, Jules?"

The blonde shakes her head in disbelief.

"You are unbelievable" she lets out, disappointed. 

"I am unbelievable?" I say back, shaking my head as well, very slowly, exposing my frustration. As her blue eyes are set on mine, and that her hands were still on my arms, I continue: "Ever since we arrived in this god forsaken town, you've been acting weird. Is it because your ex is in town, and that you want to get her back or something?"

"No, of course not-" Julie starts, frowning.

"Then what, Julie? What is it?" I ask, truly annoyed this time.

There is hesitation inside her eyes for a moment, before she just whispers:

"I told you I had feelings for you, and you didn't say it back, Lia." and, shrugging, letting my arms go, she takes a few steps back and adds: "That's it. And even if you did, then we couldn't be together, you know exactly why." 

I sigh.

"Jules, I-"

"No, please, don't" the new sheriff orders, visibly in pain. Before she tries to leave the room, she turns around and says: "Forget that I said anything, alright?"

"I can't, Julie" I only declare.

She freezes, turning her head toward me.

"What ?"

"Our friendship is worth so much to me, I just can't-" I start explaining myself, but she cuts my explanations short:

"Let it go, alright?" the blonde asks, setting her jaw. Before leaving for good this time, she just briefly says: "I didn't come here to see my ex, Lia: I came here because my childhood friend, my best friend, has decided to come and risk her life dealing with macabre stories that are way over her head. But I care about you, Lia, and I won't stop trying to protect you, because to me you're way more than a friend."

She exits, as I just stand there, completely in shock.

Until I receive a message on my private phone:

KRISTIE MEWIS: don't forget our meeting at 2PM, come alone.

____________________

QUESTIONS:

- Do you still enjoy this story?

- Who is your favourite ship in this story?

Thank you for the support!