LXVIII

KRISTIE

"Please remind me as to why I ever agree to that?"

My question is greeted by Alex's sarcastic laughter.

The gala is just about to start, and as the great sister that I am - I mean, it's not so much because my sister's girlfriend is organizing this party or because I am now the head of Orange security that I came there ; not, it's because there's free food, and Alex know that very well.

Although Alex is still getting dressed in the bathroom with the door slightly opened so that we can talk, I can't picture her laughing at me perfectly.

"And I can't believe I chose this stupid outfit - I mean, yeah, it's classy, but so not practical." I add, purposely to make her laugh.

She smirks - I know she does - and says:

"I mean, if womens' clothes were practical they'd be called men's clothes."

"Painfully true."

I take a gold look at myself in the mirror, and somehow my long, glowing and blonde hair are fitting the dark suit:

After adjusting the last details, I turn around and grow impatient.

"What the hell are you doing in there? We gotta leave!" I urge her, rolling my eyes.

Just as that last word came out of my mouth, the bathroom door opens and Alex appears - and for a brief moment I don't know how to breathe anymore.

Her makeup, actually quite nude, was showing rather blueish colors that would only highlight her eyes, combined with a neat eyeliner trait just above them. Her dress fitted her so perfectly that I first thought it was specifically made for her.

I shamelessly check her out slowly, making sure not to miss any bit of her - don't ask me why, women in general make me go crazy.

Catching my glances, Alex humorously declares:

"Instead of staring, could you please help me with the zipper? I can't quite reach it."

I nod.

"I wasn't... staring, by the way. But yes, easy peezy."

She frowns, as I walk around her in order to grab the zipper of her dress. My fingers randomly touch her back, and I could have sworn that she shivered - which actually made me freeze. I mean, is there ambiguity? Now that I think about it, although Alex wasn't quite my style, she still was sublime and impressively clever; but I couldn't think like that.

My fingers softly grab the zipper and start moving up with the usual noise. I set my jaw, as my eyes instinctively look down at her arse, that is quite put forward by the dress itself. After a few seconds, I can see Alex's back muscles tensing up, and I soon realize I stopped moving. In a rush, I close the zipper and walk away from her, a weird feeling in my stomach and chest.

Alex seems confused, but I'm not sure for the same reasons that I am. Frowning, she just asks:

"Is everything okay Kristie?"

"Yes, why would you ask that?" I urgently respond, raising my eyebrows, my fake bitch face mask back on again.

Her deep blue eyes seem filled with doubt and hesitation, but in the end she just says:

"You look tensed, that's all."

"I just think Gala aren't my thing at all" I lie, knowingly changing subject. Awkwardly coughing - why am I like this? I mean, I usually am the predator, not the helpless prey, and why am I even behaving this way with the woman I share power with? - I urgently add: "It only reminds me of senior prom when I went with Rachel..."

Alex nods, sympathetically caressing my arm.

"It's normal to miss the people who are gone, Kristie" she softly says, and it seems that, on her side, all awkwardness had disappeared. As I blush (what the actual fuck?) she continues: "Even if they were making bad decisions in the end."

"Whatever"

The sad truth was that, although I missed Rachel in the beginning, I came to realise that I didn't love her like that - not that deeply. How did I realise that, you may ask? Well, let's say that some deeper feelings have been developing behind my back and without me realising it, understanding them or even acknowledging them. 

After smiling at me with kindness, Alex sits down on the couch and starts putting her heels on. I, on the other hand, look through the window. 

"Do you think The Patriarch are going to make a move tonight, as Christen and Abby think?" I ask, trying my best to clear my thoughts.

She nods, raising her eyebrows.

"You don't?" she rhetorically asks, raising her eyebrows.

"I mean, if they're not stupid, they'll wait until an even more important moment - this seems too... predicable."

"On the other hand," Alex argues, "this is a public event and would be the perfect opportunity to set the record straight and announcing that The Patriarch remain enemies with Press Corporation and also rule town."

"Very true."

But something feels off. 

"Kristie, are you sure you're-" Alex starts.

"I'm fine" I coldly answer, having a hard time controlling my thoughts. 

She doesn't say anything, and I could swear I hurt her with my way of answering.

Sighing, I add :

"Sorry, it's just-"

"Got it" Alex interrupts, her eyes darkening, "you don't like to deal with your emotions and prefer to be a bitch. So be it, then."

As she is about to walk out of the room, I grab her forearm firmly, and bring her closer to me, our faces inches away from each other.

Her eyes go wide, but I remain unbothered, my hand still on her. I can sense her eyes going down on my lips briefly, before staring right into mine again.

I've never seen her be surprised before, and it was worth the try.

"I'm sorry" I apologize again, trying to figure out all those emitions growing inside of me as we locked eyes. She sets her jaw, as I continue : "You're right, I'm a bitch, especially when.. Uh, when I feel things I absolutely shouldn't."

"What, but...?"

I let go of her hand, rolling my eyes.

"Isn't it obvious now, Alex?" I only ask, before leaving the room, feeling nauseous.

What did I just do?