fifty seven.

"I wanna be alone, alone with you does that make sense?"

"What time?" I ask Mason for the second time now. I tear my eyes away from my phone screen and look down at him. 

His index finger continues to trace mindless patterns along my lower back under the hem of my shirt, and each second he does makes another butterfly explode in my belly.

My arms rest upon his stomach as we lie in my bed together. I wish we could stay like this forever, the two of us talking, curled up with each other in the middle of night. It is always my favorite part of the day- or actually morning. My eyes dart toward the time showing on the top of my screen, 2:04 a.m.

We've spent the last hour and a half lying here watching Friends even though neither of us were really even paying attention between the glances we stole from each other. Then I got the notification that my laptop was on 5% battery, so instead of charging it we both pushed it aside, shifted closer together and started talking about the most random things.

None of our topics are too sensitive though, it never is.

But I don't care, I just want to be here with him- that's all I ever find myself wanting now.

"What if I don't know the time?" He asks me.

"Well then it won't be accurate. I already got the date, location, now I just need the time and it has to be exact."

He heaves a sigh and looks at me for a few moments before answering, "10:42 a.m."

I pause and narrow my eyes at him for a second, trying to figure out if he's telling the truth or not.

"My moms big on astrology." He explains, almost as if he read my mind.

I blink at him, stunned by what he says, all the nights we've been together he's never mentioned his mom once. I guess I expected him to give me some other reason why he'd know- like seeing it on his birth certificate or something. But I never thought he'd mention her.

It may seem like a little thing, but it's far from that. He's slowly opening up to me, even if it takes much longer than I anticipated it still shows.

I want to have that conversation about our families at one point, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Mason and I have been physically vulnerable with each other in so many ways, but emotionally we just aren't ready.

It's almost like we've done everything backwards. This man has seen me naked but talking about the past is too big of a step for me, I mentally laugh at the thought.

"She is?" I question, not trying to push this too far.

He starts to trace his finger up and down my back, and the gentle touch sends chills down my spine. I love it when he's like this; when he shows his affections in sweet little gestures.

"Yeah, whenever I get pissed she loves to say that that's the 'Cancer in me' or some shit. I don't know, I'm not listening to her half the time."

I can't help the laughter that escapes my mouth, I can only imagine the two of them getting into it and her putting the blame on his Zodiac sign.

"It is." I agree with his mother, smiling back at him as my laughs finally come to a stop.

He gives me a weak no teeth smile in return, his eyes going over every inch of my face in the process. Even though I love how content he seems talking to me now, I'm also able to notice the sadness hidden in his eyes.