twelve.

The next day, I spent my morning inside. I decided to do laundry, straighten up my room, and do a face mask before Aiden's barbeque to kill time. A part of me feels nervous for today since it's our first official outing as whatever we are. 

I'm not quite sure what we are or what we're doing, but I know we both still have feelings for each other and are willing to work through it.

I stand in front of the mirror as the mint green face mask is fully dry on my skin. I should have done a face mask last night, but after I got home I watched a movie with Amy and went to bed. I scrub the mask off and pat my face dry with a washcloth. 

I look at myself in the mirror and inspect my skin. I've never really had acne before, both my parents have always had good skin which I am thankful for. But I think today I might add a little makeup to brighten up my face a bit. I scurry over to my vanity desk and sit down. I don't have a lot of options to choose from, just basically powder, blush, mascara and lip gloss. I wish I was one of those girls who knew what they were doing when they put makeup on. I need to invest in some more makeup.

I decided to just put mascara, blush lip gloss on.

"Ouch, shit." I curse to myself as I accidentally jab myself in the eye, leaving a big black dot under my eye and on the side of my nose. 

I groan at myself for being so careless, and grab a makeup wipe to wipe it off. I reapply the mascara, doing better than last time and apply blush to my cheeks and clear lip gloss to my lips. I analyze myself in the mirror and am not satisfied. 

I take another makeup wipe out and scrub off the mascara before reapplying. While looking over at myself one more time, I've come to the conclusion that this is as good as it's going to get.

 I stand up from my vanity and walk over to my closet to find clothes to wear. Shit, yesterday might have been a good day to do laundry. 

"Fuck," I curse to myself as I try to look through my dresser to find something to wear.

Relax. I remind myself.

Why am I getting myself so worked up over about this? I'm simply going to Aiden's house to hang out with his friends and family. I take a deep breath to try and calm myself down and grab the best thing I can find.

   Once I'm dressed, I curl my hair and spray a spritz of perfume onto my chest. I look at the time, and it's already five-thirty.

"Knock, knock." I hear behind me. I turn around and see Amy standing next to my door in-between the doorway.

"Where are you headed?" She asks curiously.

"Aiden's," I answer shortly, as I grab my phone from my bed and walk past her.

"Oh well, have fun!" She calls out as I walk down the stairs. I quickly get into my car and drive off to Jessica's.

Once I walk into Jessica's house I see her and Mason both standing in the kitchen talking. After I closed the door, Jessica turned her head to face me and I am greeted with a smile.

"You ready?" I ask, standing by the door. This is the first time I've seen Mason since the party a few days ago, and I really wasn't up for staying to chat. 

Jessica nodded at my question and reached out to grab her jacket on the seat beside her before walking over to me.

"Let's go," she said. I see Mason roll his eyes and follow behind Jessica towards me. I expect for him to stop but he doesn't.

"What are you doing?" I blurt out as Mason is now standing in front of me. I can smell a whiff of his cologne as he halted to a stop, and it's gone quicker than it came.

"What does it look like? I'm going to the barbeque." He snaps.

"Uh, no you're not." I respond with a bit more attitude than intended.

"Of course I am, Jessica invited me." I can see a faint smile appear on his lips. He knows this is killing me.

 I'm sure a confused look is plastered all over my face. Why would Jessica invite Mason to Aiden's barbeque?

 "You invited him?" I turned to Jessica who was right beside me before I felt my keys snatched from my grasp.

"I'll be in the car." He said, and began walking outside. 

I turned around to call out for him to give me my keys back, but by the time my body faced his he was out the door. A scoff came out of my lips in shock. Did he just take my car keys? What was going on? This wasn't what I had planned for today.

I turned back around to face Jessica, who had an apologetic smile on her face.

"Why the hell would you invite Mason to the barbecue?"

"I'm sorry Elle, but I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal." She replied.

"Are you forgetting that Aiden doesn't know Mason and I slept together? I'm trying to keep it that way for today, I don't want Mason telling him." I could only imagine the look on Aiden's face if Mason decided to spill the beans, he'd be devastated. 

My stomach starts turning just thinking about it. I don't know Mason well enough to be confident in his secret keepings and honestly I don't care to.

"He won't say anything, I promise. Mason's new in town and he doesn't know anybody-"

"That's not my fault." I interrupt.

"I know, but he's family and it's important to me that he does. Plus, Aiden will be all over you anyways, he won't even notice Mason is there." Jessica reassures me. "Please," she begs. "I promise he'll be on his best behavior."

Of course, Jessica had to pull the family card. Who knows, maybe she's right. I plan on spending most of my time with Aiden and as long as he's with me, Mason won't say anything. Right? 

   "Fine." I say to her, surprising the both of us, and her lips form into a smile.

The whole drive towards Aiden's I think about all the ways this could go wrong. I plan on telling Aiden about what happened , but not today in front of everyone. I don't plan on causing a scene. I don't want to ruin what we have.

Once we arrive at Aiden's I'm surprised to find a parking spot right in front of his house. I quickly park in the spot before anyone takes it. I get out of the car and step in front of Mason as both of his feet touch the concrete.

"We'll catch up to you." I said to Jessica. She looks at Mason before nodding her head to me and makes her way to Aiden's house. I turn back to Mason and he sighs, his face already filled with boredom.

"You aren't going to bitch again are you?" He asks and my mouth gapes open from his words.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

"Look," he says, "So we fucked one time, get over it." Of course he would think I'm trying to hook up again. His arrogant words don't surprise me.

"Actually, I was going to tell you that Aiden is my ex. I'm trying to get back with him so could we please forget-"

"We fucked?" He interrupts. "Already forgotten." I blankly stare at Mason after his words are spoken. 

I know he's trying to get to me and I won't let him. I'm not trying to start an argument outside Aiden's house. Fighting the urge not to snap back is much harder than words could describe. I still can't believe that this is the boy I threatened my relationship with Aiden with. How stupid could I have been?

"Mason I'm-"

"Don't worry," he says, and steps forward towards me. My body stiffens and he brings his lips inches away from my ear.

"Your secrets safe with me." He whispers. I gulp as I can feel his breath hit my ear. He stands back up and walks right past me towards Aiden's front door.

Maybe this is all in my head, but this barbecue seems like a recipe for disaster.