Chapter 16: Not Again!

"Um hello? Earth to Percy," a voice called.

Percy blinked and managed to tear his eyes away from the history book to stare blankly at Noa.

"You're having your first class with Naguel later in the evening," Noa informed.

"Don't you know it's polite to knock?" Percy asked wryly, sitting cross-legged on his bed.

"You left your door open," Noa shrugged. "I took this as a sign that you allowed visitors."

Percy gave a half-smile at that. "Anything about that list?" he asked.

Noa nodded. "That's partially the reason why I'm here." She took a piece of folded paper out from the pockets of her flowing skirt and handed it to Percy. "It took me some time asking around until I found the right guy but here it is."

Percy unfolded the paper and scanned the elegant scrawl that was no doubt Noa's handwriting. It didn't take long for Percy's eyes to go through the list, it was surprisingly short.

"Amphitrite, Triton, Naguel, Cassian, Barthus, Gemina, Razir --- how the hell is Razir on this list?" Percy demanded. "He isn't exactly trustworthy."

"You sound as if you trust the rest of them," Noa said. "And... you may not trust Razir or any of them but Poseidon has his reasons if he allowed these people to enter whenever they wished."

"Yeah," he muttered. "And it was probably what got him killed."

Noa raised an eyebrow. "This list makes it easier for us to consider who might be the bigger possibility. At least we are not empty-handed here. You've only a few days left and we're nowhere close to a conclusion," she reminded.

"Just theories and suspicions," Percy sighed. "This is impossible. Unless a miracle occurs I doubt we'll be able to even figure it out in time much less catch this murderer."

"Plus they've been quiet," Noa added. "No one tried to kill you lately?"

Percy shook his head. "Unless the murderer isn't trying to kill me but is trying to prevent me from taking the throne so I can't reforge the banishing curse or spell or whatever it is. Which makes more sense as to why I'm not dead yet."

Noa gave a wry smile. "You sure it's not because they fear you?"

"Definitely not because of that."

"Well, you have to do this whether you like it or not," she said. "So what have you found?"

Percy quickly opened the book and flipped to the missing pages and gestured to them. "Only some pages are missing from the history book," he said. "But most of the information lost are probably vital information and carefully selected, whoever tore these pages know what they want to hide. Everything that wasn't torn off doesn't help much."

"Anything in particular that was gone?" Noa asked.

Percy flipped through the pages a few times. "A lot of them missing is about the first Council. Almost all information about the first council, it's members, parts of the incident that happened, they're all gone. I don't suppose you know the history by heart?" he asked.

Noa shook her head. "I may be good in many things, but I'm not an expert in history. I only know the main stuff," she admitted.

"But what does the first Council have to do with anything? They're all dead," Percy murmured. "They have to be important though if someone is hiding something."

Noa pointed out, "They fought and perished in the first Trench War. And if the sea demons are thinking of enacting another war, of course they would want to destroy anything that could be used against them."