Chapter 35: The scars of grief

Trigger warning: mentions of ED

After her detention with Somerset, things weren't as toxic between them, even though the rivalry was as intense as ever. Sirius, James and Peter apologised for their childish behaviour (which she learned was due to Somerset and Remus) but she already had a low opinion of them and there would be a long time before she would truly forgive them.

A few weeks passed, and there was no progress with her friends, and she still avoided them and so there was that. Adelaide felt mentally and physically exhausted and despite not doing anything physically challenging, she would wake up with soreness and discomfort. She was always cold and it was hard for her to concentrate, which she put the blame on her headaches. Studying was a chore and she really wasn't doing good in it as before.

It was the day which they were given back their scores for the charms' class exam, and everyone were anticipating it. Adelaide really felt weird from the beginning of the day, and her dizziness was worse than ever and she had trouble standing up and walking. She didn't go for breakfast because she was too much in pain to bother. I'll rest today afterwards perhaps.

They had the charms class as their first class with the Gryffindors, and she was sitting beside Remus. Flitwick was returning their scores at the end of their class.

"Oh, i got an 85!" Sirius announced loudly. His friends patted him on his back.
"And i got an 80 percent! It was a hard one, I can't believe i managed to get this without opening my books." James said arrogantly with Somerset rolling his eyes at him.

"I got a 70! Thank you Steph, for helping me for this exam." Peter shouted half-hugging Somerset. He smiled proudly at him. "You'll get better with practice. I am proud of you Peter."

Frank had gotten a 90 and Remus had gotten a 95, which was shouted in the classroom, by Sirius, Peter and James making him blush.

Adelaide was given her paper but as soon as she saw the score, her face paled and her eyes were not seeing clearly. She had gotten a 60 percent, something that she could hardly believe in, even Peter had a higher score than her. She felt everything fading away as she put the paper inside her bag with her shaking hands, without giving it a second glance.

"Oh my! Stephan had gotten the highest score of 105! Wow, you are such a nerd." James announced congratulating his friend.

"Now now mr Potter stop annoying the poor boy, shall you?" Flitwick joked.

No, No! I am 55 percent lower than him. Adelaide felt the haze and the pressure on her head mounting. That's the worst score i ever had gotten! And it's less than 95 percent too! How did i manage to ruin stuff so much?

"What score did you get, Winchester?" Sirius asked as he and Somerset walked towards them.

Adelaide barely heard them, as she was trying to feign a response.

"Adelaide are you-" Adelaide heard Remus' voice before she felt her eyes closing and everything fading away.

................

Adelaide felt a great warmth in her sleep, and heard hushed voices around her. She willed herself awake, and opened her eyes. The brightness that welcomed her was too much and she felt as if she was getting blind.

"Oh, Toria! Adelaide had woken up!" This was Helena's voice and all of her sisters nearly suffocated her with a hug.

"Careful now, everyone. Don't startle your sister." Adelaide heard her father's voice and panicked. Oh no, what is he doing here?

Adelaide looked around and was welcomed by the familiar sight of the infirmary. Her hair was let down and free of its usual braid and she was wearing her white nightgown. She also had many vials of potions beside her on the nightstand beside her. On her hand there was a small bandaid that was probably because of a needle of a syringe piercing her skin.