Chapter 25: Where the Hyacinths grow

Summer 1973

It was the first day of August, something that Adelaide would remember for a long time. It was Sunday and they had gone to Diagon Alley so that they could buy their school supplies in a quick manner, without being interrupted by someone. Adelaide knew that it was impossible to see her friends the last week, and she dreaded seeing them, so she jumped on the opportunity to buy her school supplies without seeing some familiar faces. Helena went on a solo trip earlier with their father since this was going to be her first year (she was also gifted a beautiful delicate bracelet that had green gems attached to it), while the girls, since Elizabeth had passed her apparation exam, apparated there and they were on their own. Adelaide was so tired that when they got home, she dozed off right away when her head hit the pillow.

A few hours later, she was being violently shaken up by someone. She lazily opened her eyes and saw Martha standing above her, with a grave face. There were some noises coming from downstairs.

"What had happened Martha?" Adelaide was confused due to her sleepy and dizzy state.

"My dear. Your father arrived a few minutes ago, your mother... she passed peacefully in her sleep."

"No, no it can't be." Then she heard some loud sobbing. Elizabeth's sobbing. Now there was no reason to believe that Martha was wrong.

"My dear," Martha said a very gentle voice that was so unlike her no nonsense voice, "you need to get up. I need to wake up Helena and Edmund." Without another word, she left the room.

Adelaide threw away her blanket. She was feeling empty, her brain was not fathoming what was really happening. Everything happened so fast and her mind was too slow.

She finally felt the courage and went downstairs and saw all of her siblings present downstairs in their nightclothes while her father was in his day clothes, as he was in the hospital. She sat on one of the sofas, as she took in her family's appearance. Elizabeth was sobbing loudly and her eyes were already puffed up, her eyelashes were wet and sticked to each other. Victoria, was devastated. Even that was an understatement. She sat limply on the sofa as her long light brown hair was loose and hung around her face, giving her the look of a madwoman. Her eyes were red and she was staring at the ceiling. Helena, rushed to Adelaide was crying quietly and sat beside her. She hid her face in her lap and was crying softly. Adelaide didn't mind her nightgown getting wet. Edmund who was crying too, seeing Helena's action, copied her and put her head on Adelaide's shoulder. Their father was frantically walking in the living room and pacing on and on.

After a few moments, their father without saying a word, went away, as he went due to some legal stuff related to their mother's death. Martha told them to return back to their room and try to sleep, but she didn't force them and so all of them didn't change their positions and stayed put until god knows when. Adelaide's mind was blank and besides the shuddering of their breathes, an occasional sob or the clock's ticking no voice could be heard.

I can't cry now. My family is devastated, someone needs to take care of them. Someone needs to stay strong and now it seems that person should be me. Helena and Edmund are young. Victoria and Elizabeth have too much going on. I need to be there for them. Adelaide thought to herself as she played with Helena's curls.

Their aunt Sophie arrived a few hours later, her dirty-blonde hair was loose and her blue eyes were filled with tears, when she took in her late sister's children.
"I have just returned from the hospital. We want to prepare your mother for her funeral. Do you want to see your mother for the... last time?" Her voice broke at the last word.

Victoria, Elizabeth and Helena stood up.
"What about you two?"
"I rather remember mama as when she was awake." Edmund whispered quietly.

"Heidi?"
"I don't think i can bear it. You go without us."