Chapter 48 - Space

Lizzie's POV

I press the ringing phone against my ear, holding my breath as the seconds tick by. Sitting down on the chair before the window, I wait to hear her sweet voice.

Since seeing her in class, I want to talk to her, feeling like she feels unwell. Maybe I totally misinterpreted her behavior but the way she didn't meet my eyes...she never did that before.

I let it ring until it goes to the mailbox, pressing the end button with a sigh. Knowing that usually she picks up her phone in a matter of seconds, I let myself believe that she couldn't answer it. There must be a good reason.

Perhaps she is already asleep?

She must be tired after all those eventful days. A small grin plays around my lips as I remember how her cheeks flushed a lovely shade of pink while she slid over the ice.

My heart warms at the memory, hearing her adorable shriek as I let my hold loose, letting her skate over the ice on her own.

That night...That was the night I knew how much I love her. And that I never want to let her go, hoping that this - us - can truly work out.

I unlock my phone again, going to our chat and seeing the last message I sent her. It's a picture of us standing in front of the mirror wearing dresses, her hands hugging me around the waist.

A wide grin is on my face as y/n presses a kiss against my temple from behind, standing on her tiptoes. My eyes linger on the jewelry that lays around my neck, my hands moving up to my collarbone where the necklace is.

Grabbing the emerald in one hand, I sent her a message, hoping she would somehow feel that I'm thinking of her.

Lizzie
Good night, darling <3

Satisfied with myself, I get under the covers and switch the lights off. Turning over to the side, I stare at the empty spot beside me, letting my fingers brush over the cover.

I want to hold her, to press my nose into her hair, to hear her soft breaths as she falls asleep. My fingers twitch as I remember how it feels to run my fingers through her strands.

Maybe she thinks of me too...right in this second?

~

The next day, I sit in my office, planning the next lectures for the following week. I stare at the clock, my muscles arching as I finish the schedule for the next class.

Putting the pen on the desk, I give myself a short time to breathe and clear my mind. With a heavy sigh, I lean back against the chair. I look around the office, eyes landing on my phone.

My mind instantly turns to her again. I didn't have any classes with y/n today, not seeing her at all. Without any second thoughts, I unlock the phone, going straight to the contacts and message her.

Lizzie
Do you want to come over later? We can cook together, since I already went to the store yesterday 👩🏼‍🌾

Again, I wait for her to answer, but she doesn't text back. A heavy feeling settles in my stomach, a sensation that I haven't perceived for so long. I look at the clock, furrowing my brows.

It's her usual break, why isn't she looking at her phone?

I stare at the message, biting down on my tongue as my mind is rattling, asking myself what I should do.

Nibbling at my lip, I remember the last time we cooked dinner together. The night after I asked y/n what her favorite food is, I was shocked as she told me that she hasn't eaten it since she was a child.