Chapter 42 - High on pleasure

Y/N's POV

The twins lead me on the second floor, the elevator doors opening and revealing a dimly lit room, disco lights moving along the walls.
The music is loud, blasting from the speakers, a crowd of people moving to the beat.

"You want another drink, darling?" Makayla asks, pointing to the bar. "Toby here makes one of the best cocktails."

I shake my head. "No, sorry, I have to pass. I need to sober up a bit."

"I need one. Come with us, you can have a glass of water again." Alice grabs my hand, walking to the corner of the room, avoiding the dancing people in the middle of the room. "Lizzie would kill us if we didn't take proper care of you."

"I'm not a child who needs to be babysit." I mumble, rolling my eyes. "I can take care of myself very well."

"Sure," Makayla chuckles, "But still you don't want to be on the bad side of Lizzie."

We get our drinks at the bar, the twins drowning theirs in a swift movement before they drag me on the dance floor, moving to the music hands in the air.

The sudden joy that consumes my body is like a shot of adrenaline to the heart, and all at once I fall into the rhythm, one with the music and every crazy person around us.

I could go like this all night long, time becoming irrelevant as we are singing the lyrics loudly, moving my hips like they are made to sway.

Suddenly I bump into another person, stumbling lightly, but two strong hands settle on my waist, keeping me upright.

"Oh sorry." I apologize, turning around to thank the person for catching me.

The first thing I notice are the green eyes behind a black mask, staring at me with curiosity. My brows furrow. An odd feeling of recognition overcoming me.

The red tainted lips pull into a toothy smile, chuckling quietly. "You seem a little shocked? Is there something on my face?"

"No, you look good. I mean, there's nothing on your face." I say quickly, shaking my head to get my thoughts straight.

"Mhm." The woman hums, clicking her tongue. "Careful, so you don't bump into people again. You never know who they are."

Before I can respond she moves away from me, disappearing between the dancing people, leaving me with rattling thoughts alone.

I exhale quietly, shaking my head and leaving the confusion behind as I turn back around to the twins. They seem lost in the music, having no clue about the previous encounter, and I'm thankful for it, not wanting to hear their teasing comments.

After a while I break out of the little bubble, the drunkenness lifting nearly all of me, reminding me of the person I'm actually here for. I excuse myself for a second, saying that I'm going to the bathroom. But instead I take the elevator downstairs, walking back to the room where I left her behind.

I bite my lip, eyes searching for her in the crowded room, but her black dress doesn't make her easy to find in the mass full of women wearing dark dresses.

Why couldn't she wear yellow or white? A bit of change is not bad, and this event reminds me of a funeral with all the dark colors.

I jump as someone touches me on the shoulder, turning around to meet Chris kind eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't want to startle you."

"No, it's alright," I breathe out.

"Are you searching for Liz?"

I nod, turning my head back around to scan the room for her. "Yes, but I can't seem to find her."