Chapter 10 - Dark Closet

Y/N's POV

Sunday approaches around the corner quicker than I thought. The previous day I was busy with brainstorming for a gift, not knowing what Aubrey would like since we only know each other for a few days.

Now I stand before the dark wooden door belonging to Aubrey's house, a modern villa with a high fence, a few streets off campus.

The villa is held in white and black tones with tall open windows, white curtains blocking the view inside.

I didn't know that she would be that rich.

There is a lot of thought behind every inch of my outfit, being anxious about what to wear. I chose to wear my red dress from the night at the bar, not knowing if jeans would be appropriate for the occasion, hoping it wouldn't stand out too much under her guest. Over the dress I threw on a black tight cardigan, ending mid-waist, unsure if the gathering would be held outside.

With a shaking finger, I press the bell, a melodic ring announcing my presence outside. I push my hair over my shoulder, needing to do something with my fingers as I hear the sound of heels clicking behind the door.

The door opens with a creak revealing a smiling Aubrey, wearing a long black dress with flower embroidery, revealing a bit more cleavage than I have expected, always seeing her in those suits that hide every bit of skin. I gulp, returning my gaze to her face, my expression mirroring hers.

"Hey, y/n."

"Hey. Happy Birthday." I greet her with a hug, slinging my arm around her waist.

"Thank you for coming." She mumbles into my hair. As we pull away, I reveal the flowers that were hidden behind my back.

"Here. I didn't really know what you would like, and I thought flowers are always a good choice." I explain, handing her the bouquet of red roses.

"They're perfect. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome."

Aubrey smiles at me, letting her eyes travel slowly over my red dress. I notice the movement, biting my lip in thought.

"Like what you see," I chuckle.

She glances up at me, the corner of her lips twitching, humming softly. Aubrey clears her throat, taking a step back inside the house, holding the door wide open for me to move inside.

"Come in, make yourself a home."

I step inside the hallway, sounds of laughter and loud chattering flowing to my ears, realizing that the party is already in full swing.

"So food is in the garden. We have cake, muffins and all the other stuff appropriate for a birthday," she lists, "And alcohol can be found literally on every corner."

"Good to know," I wink.

We are interrupted by the sound of the bell, announcing new incoming guests. Aubrey excuses herself with a small smile, walking to the door again.

Taking a glass of champagne, I wander through the kitchen, curiosity getting the better of me, inspecting the big kitchen island with its elegant marble look.

Looking at my surroundings, I can only gaze in awe, the entire furniture beautiful, never seeing something like this before. The high windows reach the ground, bathing the room in orange sunlight.

"Y/n?"

I nearly jump out of my skin, hearing the familiar voice, not expecting her to be here.

Why the hell is she always turning up at the least possible occasion?