67 - Pressure

Alison
***

I spent the days leading up to the second semester at Chris' apartment. We only had a three day weekend to catch up on the lost time, but those 72 hours were more than enough.

What made this time so special was the fact that no one knew I had already arrived in the city. I didn't have to text my flat mates to tell them I wasn't sleeping at home, I didn't have Maddie text me to meet up for lunch, I didn't have David wanting to go out at night. The only person who knew I was there was Chris and so he had all my undivided attention.

There was a certain erotism to it all. The secrecy, the exclusivity, the feeling of being in a world of our own. Those three days were a complete fantasy where we didn't have to constantly come up with lies and pretend our relationship was strictly professional. For the first time, I allowed myself to stop thinking that our relationship was wrong in all the ways society deemed it was.

Neither of us mentioned work once. I was sure Chris had worked prior to me arriving so he'd be free to give me all the attention, but also because, like myself, he wanted to believe in the fantasy that we were a normal couple, that our situation caused no stress or headaches.

I thought that when I came back there would only be one thing on Chris' mind, but that wasn't the case. I thought he'd be all over me any chance he got, so I was surprised when the moments of mundane activities like cooking and watching TV felt just as meaningful. For example, on the first two days jet lag took the best of me and I fell asleep two or three hours before Chris did on the couch. He enjoyed watching trivia shows and I didn't mind watching it with him. I watched him more than I did the show though. I loved seeing his facial expressions as he thought of the answer, how he argued with the contestants like they could hear him, how he'd reason his answer out loud and explain it to me (even though I was barely awake).

He'd tell me to go to bed, that I didn't need to stay with him if I was tired. I told him I wanted to fall asleep next to him and that I didn't mind being carried to bed afterwards. Matter of fact, I loved it when he did that. I felt so protected in his arms, like a bird in a nest. He kissed me on the forehead while he took me very slowly to his room, his lips waking me up halfway down the corridor. I'd snuggle closer to his chest, and when it was time to put me down on the mattress I looped my arms around him and pulled him down with me. I'd search for his lips in the dark, eyes closed and barely awake, and kissed him softly until I literally fell asleep with his mouth delicately still on mine.

It was the best way to fall asleep, which meant that in the morning I'd wake up in the best mood. Needless to say that I took full advantage of Chris' morning erection and give him a good morning like he gave me a good night.

It was on Sunday afternoon where our fantasy bubble started to crack. I had to go back to my apartment eventually so I texted my flat mates saying I'd arrive after dinner. Chris also started discussing the upcoming semester, if I was ready to start working hard on my portfolio, if I was excited for his new course.

"I convinced Maddie to take it as well," I said. "I need all the help I can get to put up with you."

He hooked his arm around my neck and scuffed the top of my head, tangling up my hair. We laughed together as I tried to push him off. I liked how we still teased each other every chance we got. Looking back at the beginning of our relationship, it felt so special that that part of us hadn't changed.

Chris drove me to my apartment without a fuss. He said he was excited to be seeing me tomorrow, even if that meant spending the week without me.