34 - Phonecall

Alison
***

I woke up the next morning feeling the weight of Chris' arm on top of me. I opened my eyes slightly, diffused sunlight coming in through the cracks of the blinds, casting streaks of light on the wall. To escape from the light, I moved closer to Chris, hiding my face in his chest. When I did that, he adjusted his arm, guiding me to a more comfortable position.

"You awake?" I asked in a low voice. Something about his breathing and the way he reacted to my movement told me he was.

"No, I'm sleeping." He said in a groggy voice.

I smiled to myself, amused at his early morning dry humor. I wondered for how long he had been awake already, or rather, just barely awake.

"On Sundays we sleep in, that's the rule." He added, snaking his other arm under me and pulling me in a tight hug. Chris was undeniably hot, but when he acted this way, his sweetness melted me.

"Oh, is that our new rule?" I asked, drawing circles on his bare chest.

"No, it's a universal rule." He said, his voice dragging. "Now shut up and let me sleep."

I chuckled. I didn't imagine Chris as being the type to sleep in on Sundays.

I was fully awake now and ready to start the day. When I made an attempt to lift the covers and get up, placing my hands on top of Chris' to get him to release me, he held me even tighter, his face buried into my skin.

"Come on Chris, let me go." I said, laughter escaping from my lips. I loved seeing the childish side of him.

"No." He responded, pleading like a kid. "Stay."

It only took one word for me to change my mind. Staying under the warm sheets with the sweetest, sexiest man wasn't that bad, was it?

When Chris realized I was staying, he pulled me back down so I was laying flat on the mattress. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at his neediness. He locked my legs in his, making me unable to move.

"Can't change your mind now." He whispered, kissing my cheek lazily.

We laid down in silence, the darkness of the room enveloping us in a world of our own. Chris had his eyes closed, his breathing slow and calm, but he wasn't asleep. I, on the other hand, had my eyes wide open, twirling my fingers in his hair, pulling small strands under my nails, massaging his skull. He'd occasionally hum when I grazed his earlobe, the corner of his lip turning upwards. He looked so serene, so at peace in that state.

However, the silence didn't last long. My mind was occupied with many thoughts as I stared at the walls, so it was only a matter of time before I spoke.

"Remember last night when we were talking about the final assessment paintings?" I asked quietly, disrupting the comfortable silence.

Chris simply hummed in agreement, not moving an inch or opening his eyes.

"I really like this one over the bed frame." I said, turning my head sideways so I could glance at it. "What's the meaning behind it?"

This time Chris moved a little bit, changing the position of his legs around mine. Still with his eyes closed, he answered, speaking into my neck. "What do you think it means?"