42 - Game

Christopher
***

The game was about to start. I wasn't the biggest fan of basketball, but when the LA Lakers and the Chicago Bulls played, even I got carried away in the game. Kent, unlike myself, was a die hard Lakers fan, so he was absolutely buzzing.

The coffee table in front of the TV was littered with pizza boxes, opened cans of beer, cigarette butts, and Kent's lucky charms: a Lakers scarf and a keychain souvenir he bought the first time he saw them play live when he was a kid. I wasn't superstitious so I didn't understand why he had to have those objects every single time he watched them play, but I did find it amusing.

"Here's the deal: if you didn't like the Lakers' young core but also thought they gave up too much for ad, didn't like their signings after Kawhi chose the Clippers, and didn't like last year's free agents but also don't like moving on from them in favor of Westbrook... You're threading a needle, man." Said Kent, downing his beer.

I let him ramble on, barely paying attention to half of it. With him I had to be prepared to argue til exhaustion when talking about NBA, and since I wasn't interested in doing that, I just smiled and nodded.

The game finally started, the players running back and forth on the field, passing, dribbling, dodging. Every time our team scored, we'd high five and make a little celebration. It was really easy to be carried away by Kent's energy and passion for the sport.

"Oh man what are you doing?! Run!" He'd shout to the TV as if the players could hear him. I'd just sit back and laugh at his bulging eyes and popping veins.

My phone buzzed inside my back pocket. I grabbed it without taking my eyes from the screen. When I glanced at it lightning fast so I wouldn't miss a single pass in the game and saw Alison's name on the screen, my immediate instinct was to lock the phone, make the screen turn black. I looked at Kent to see if he had seen anything, but his eyes hadn't left the TV for a second.

I silently sighed in relief and leaned back on the couch so the phone would be out of Kent's eye view. I opened the message discretely and read it.

ALI: Enjoying your Sunday night?

I smiled, secretly happy that she was thinking of me even when we were apart.

CHRIS: Watching the Lakers game, so yes. You?

ALI: Doing some reading for my favorite lecture, so yes.

I hid a smirk. Thank God Kent had his eyes glued on the game and didn't give a shit about me.

ALI: Just so you know, I haven't opened the box.
ALI: Even though I'm dying to know what's inside.

My heart skipped a beat. I was so excited for tomorrow morning I wouldn't be able to sleep in anticipation. She was going to lose her mind.

CHRIS: You texted me to hear some words of encouragement?

I expected her to text right away, but she made me wait. In the meantime, the LAL scored and Kent shouted in jubilation.

ALI: I was hoping I could convince you to tell me what it is.

I bit my lip. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, already anticipating what was coming. She used the same tactic when I refused to tell her what the meeting with Mr Turner was about, and look how it ended.