12 - Knight

Alison
***

I felt like I was going to be sick. Anger and humiliation were running through my veins, blinding my vision. My stomach was in knots, my eyes were burning from holding back tears. My heart was contorting painfully in my chest.

How much more proof do you need that he is a total bastard?

Why did he do this? Why was he so sweet in the morning and a total jackass now?

What truly pissed me off was that I knew he was right. Whatever happened in his apartment could never happen again. He was sweet and kind and thoughtful, and he made me feel comfortable and that just couldn't be. I couldn't be feeling those types of feelings towards him.

When I got to my room, I had the urge to change into my own clothes. If I got his clothes far away from me, maybe my feelings of anger would follow. Out of sight, out of mind.

A nagging feeling coursed through me, I was craving something. I really wanted a cigarette.

No, I wasn't going to throw it all away because of him. Absolutely not.

I had so much work to get done. I had to work for Professor Agnes' class, and I also had to finish reading the Art History paper. Maybe I shouldn't even pick up the latter just to piss him off.

Sense came back to me as my anger started to subside. I had to read the paper, I had to finish my work. I wouldn't let Dr Damon get in the way of my education.

As I started reading, completely neglecting lunch, an overwhelming sadness came over me. As I read an excerpt from Jacques Bousquet's "Mannerism: The Painting and Style of the Late Renaissance", no words were registering in my mind. It was as if my eyes were only looking at the paper and not reading it. No matter how hard I tried, my mind kept taking me to his apartment, to his hands, to his warm embrace.

I clearly had unresolved feelings, but I knew I wasn't going to get closure from him. I had to do something to process my emotions, to let them out.

I put down my study materials and made my way to my easel. Professor Damon had ruined the painting I had made of the desk, but I wasn't going to allow that to be the narrative.

Determined, I painted the same painting again, but this time to perfection. I was so impressed I decided I was taking it to Evergreen to show it to Professor Agnes. Maybe painting interior spaces was my thing.

As I got started on the portrait of the man, I was suddenly hit by inspiration. He cooked me breakfast, gave me medicine, gave me his clothes, let me rest and recover, saved me from a situation that could have ended in me getting assaulted. With tears welling up in my eyes, the man I drew in the portrait was not a man in a dark suit, but a knight in silver armor.

***

I had worked on that painting the whole weekend. I tried keeping Dr Damon's comments about the first one far away from my mind, but it was virtually impossible. With every line that I drew, I remembered how he said the shapes were indistinguishable, how the angles were wrong. I found myself unconsciously improving the new painting with his corrections. I kept the colors how he liked and added even more spots of light. When it was done, I realized that most of his corrections contributed to an overall superior, more technical piece.

"This is wonderful," said Professor Agnes during her workshop. "When we think of depictions of light, we usually think of the outside world, but with this you managed to blend the inside and the outside perfectly. Maybe you should do a few more painting of interiors and see how it goes."