14 - Cigarette

Alison
***

I puffed a cigarette, the almost-forgotten-but-desperately-missed feeling of smoke filling my lungs, taking over my senses. I even let out a sigh of relief the moment the nicotine hit.

God I missed it.

"I think I'm a bad influence on you, Alison." Maddie chuckled, getting comfortable on her chair at the bistro. I had asked her for a cigarette the moment we stepped out of Evergreen, as we walked down the street to our usual lunch spot. Of course she wasn't the reason why I caved, but it was better if she believed she was.

I don't think I would be able to explain to her what happened, or more importantly, why it happened.

I kissed my professor. Dr Damon kissed me back, hard. We kissed like we had been battling our desires and we lost the fight. We gave in.

I took a long drag of my cigarette. How I wish the smoke could fog up my thoughts. At least it relaxed me.

As we waited for our food, Maddie talked about something, but my mind was too busy replaying the events following the kiss.

I can't get you out of my head. That's what he said. Then, just as quickly as those words came out of his mouth, he turned away from me and walked to his desk, got his stuff, and casually said "I'll see you next class" as if nothing had happened.

That fucker just loved playing with my head and it was driving me insane.

What was I expecting anyway? That he'd kiss me again, say he felt the same way? Have feelings for his student? Of course not. What we did was a mistake, a very enjoyable mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. He probably just told me he couldn't get me out of his head to justify why he had kissed me back.

Even while eating I longed for a cigarette, as if the smoke made it easier to conceal my true emotions. I was afraid Maddie would see right through me, that she'd sense I had just kissed the most forbidden person on the planet.

"So, anyway, what are your plans for the rest of the day?" She asked. "I was planning on doing a bit of sculpting? Wanna join? I kinda need a hand model."

"You need a hand model?" I asked, amused. What a weird request.

"Please! It's for an assignment on human anatomy. We have to get it absolutely perfect, to the inch! It's impossible to do it with photographs, I need to see movement, to visualise dimensions and 3D shapes."

I took a big bite of my sandwich. While I chewed, I thought about her proposition.

"And what would be my... compensation for modelling?" I asked, smirking. I couldn't possibly take her money, but it was fun to see her reaction.

"Well, since I'm a broke ass college student, when I'm finished with the assignment you can keep the sculpture. Use it as a rings display or something."

It was a done deal. How many people could say they had a stone sculpture of any part of their body?

After lunch we headed back to Evergreen, to the art studios. We entered a special room where all the sculpting took place. You had to wear a filtering mask to be inside or you'd get white dust up your nose and mouth from all the chipping. Luckily, no one was there at that time, so we played loud music on our phones.