36 - Suspicion

Christopher
***

I was a few minutes late when I walked through the doors of the amphitheater. There was a bounce in my step, I wasn't sleepy anymore, and suddenly the day ahead seemed more than manageable.

Side effects of good head.

I shot Alison a look, knowing exactly she'd be staring at me already when I walked into the room. She had a smirk splattered across her face. I could tell she was proud of herself (boastful even) for magically curing my hungover and for successfully being the dominant one.

I knew she'd never shut up about it, that she'd brag about her accomplishment incessantly. She was on a power trip, relishing on her power over me, congratulating herself on how easily she made me come. I had to think of something to re-establish normality, to gain my power back.

The lecture was a breeze thanks to my good mood. I even cracked a few jokes and was more lighthearted than usual. I bet Alison had enjoyed the lecture too, taking pleasure in knowing my good mood was because of her.

I knew she'd be in the art studio with Professor Agnes in the afternoon, and the thought of going there, teasing her with my presence, was too tempting to pass.

I made sure to have a convincing lie to tell Professor Agnes before making my way in.

When I walked in I felt the student's eyes on me, but I didn't give them any attention. It had to look like I was there to speak to Professor Agnes only.

"Christopher, so nice to see you!" She exclaimed, her bright smile radiating joy. "What brings you here?"

"Nice to see you too, Professor." I said as we moved away from the students and closer to her desk. "I just came by to see how you're doing and to ask you a few questions."

As she detailed her past week, I tried to get a few glances at the room to detect Alison. She had her back bent over a desk, watercolors scattered around her. I wasn't sure if she had noticed me come in.

"But anyway, tell me what you wanted to ask me." Said Agnes, bringing her cup of tea to her lips. She always drank tea during her workshop hours.

"You know the paper Mr Turner and I are writing? It looks like we'll be traveling to France to do some research. I know you've done some field trips out of the country, how did you get the Dean's approval?"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, the amount of paperwork was colossal, but I managed. The trip was lovely, of course, so it was worth it. Wouldn't be doing it again though, too much hassle."

As Agnes explained to me the bureaucratic process, some students started looking back at us, no doubt disturbed by the chit-chatting. I took this as an opportunity to make myself be known to the students.

"Looking for inspiration at the back of the class, young man?" I said in a half-serious, half-joking way. "Focus on your work."

The students laughed, as well as Professor Agnes. Alison turned around sharply when she heard me.

"Apologies Professor, I was just wondering if you could give this piece a look. It's an re-interpretation of Fiorentino's "Musical Angel". We discussed it today in your class."

I didn't recognize the young man at first, but when he grabbed my attention I realized it was David, Kent's assistant. He really was keen on impressing.

I looked at Agnes, asking for permission to intrude her workshop. We were such good friends that she didn't even think twice before letting me take over, instructing me with flailing arms to approach the student.