21 - Salt and Pepper

Christopher
***

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was how stiff my body was, how my shoulders hurt from sleeping in a tight space. The second thing I noticed as I slowly opened my eyes, the light from the windows shining on me, was the sound of sizzling bacon.

I pushed back the blanket and lifted my head in the direction of the kitchen. There, with her back turned to me, dressed in the clothes I had given her last time, was Alison, making scrambled eggs with bacon. She had earphones in her ears, humming a melody to herself quietly, focused on her cooking. She was so out of tune I didn't even recognize the song.

I wiped the sleep out of my eyes and got up. I was expecting her to hear me, but with her earphones in, she was none the wiser. I approached her quietly, her eyes fixed on the pan. Slowly, I looped my arms above her waist, making her jump, dropping her utensils.

"Holy shit, you scared me!" She said as she took off the earphones. "I could have brunt myself!"

"Good morning to you too." I said, kissing her on the neck. "That smells great."

"I'm happy you like it. It's almost done." She said, making me get my hands off her. "I've set the table. You can eat the pancakes already if you want."

I glanced at the dinning table I rarely used. Alison had set two plates, three thick pancakes in each, topped with banana slices and drizzled with honey.

I was incredibly impressed. No, I was beyond impressed, I was stunned with the whole situation.

For starters, having her in my apartment already felt risky, and sleeping next to her felt downright illegal. It was a moment of weakness on my part, I knew that, but it felt so good to hold her close to me, especially knowing she was drunk and was being so honest and transparent. When she was at the club, knowing that she wanted me was enough to get me out of bed and go get her, so if I did that in the first place, I wasn't going to say no to sleeping next to her.

The last thing I expected was for her to cook me a breakfast fit for a king. Or knight, in this case.

"Alison, you didn't have to, really. If this is your way of saying thank you, I appreciate it, but you didn't have to go above and beyond."

She laughed, transferring the eggs into the pan and mixing them with the bacon. "You think this is above and beyond? Chris, I'm doing this because I enjoy cooking. I love it actually."

I sat down on the isle stool, waiting for her to finish. I wasn't going to start eating without her.

"Well, you're putting my toasts to shame." I said, resting my head on my hands.

She chuckled. "For a man who only has salt and pepper to season his food, your toasts were lovely."

I shook my head in embarrassment. "You got me there." I admitted. "Can't say I'm very fond of the kitchen."

"Alison one, Chris zero." She chuckled, doing a victory pose.

"Already forgetting our rules, Miss Bardot?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Was it too early to mess with her? I loved seeing her reactions.

With her back turned to me, she said "You mean the rule about what to call you? Oh come on, I can't even call you by your own name in your house? That's bullshit."

I sighed. She had a point. I was just teasing her.

"Fine then," I conceded. "Can't argue with you after all this." I pointed at the food.

She put the bacon and eggs in a bowl and took it to the dinning table. She arranged the seating so we'd be sitting parallel to each other. I sat at the head of the table, facing the window, Alison on my left.