46 - Gift

Alison
***

"Lilac."  Chris uttered, my hand still gripping his neck firmly.

I froze when those words came out of his mouth, the hairs at the back of my neck standing up. It didn't even occur to me that his was kidding, the panicked look in his eyes was proof enough that he was dead serious.

Panic rose in my body as I let go of his neck.

"What's wrong Chris?" I asked, my voice laced with concern. Why did he want to stop all of a sudden? What had I done?

"Untie me, now." He said, his voice dead serious. "Now."

I did as he asked, my hands jittery from his sudden coldness. I had fucked up, and not knowing why was making me want to throw up.

What made me even more nervous was how calmly Chris was acting. The only thing that gave away his unease were his eyes. I could tell he was trying to control his emotions, conceal them from me.

I climbed off him as I undid his restrains as fast as I could. When he was free, he sat up, crossed his legs and buried his face in his hands. He took long, deliberate breathed to calm down. Unsure of what to do, I just sat there next to him, not touching him, not saying a single word.

"What did I do Chris?" I asked in a whisper. This was all my fault. Things were great and I had to go ruin them. "What happened? Why are you like this?"

My voice broke, tears threatening to fall down my face. Chris reached for my hand and kissed it which made me feel slightly better. At least he wasn't mad at me.

"I'm sorry Chris, I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." He said, not looking up at me. "I should have told you."

"Told me what?"

He looked up at me, his lips parting. "I freak out when I can't breathe. I get claustrophobic."

Those words felt like daggers to the heart. If I hadn't decided to choke him on a whim, we would still be having an amazing night. Now I was just filled with regret.

"Hey, what's that face?" Chris asked, his voice more lively than before. "Come here."

He stretched his arms and pulled me onto his lap. My skin melted into his as he wrapped his arms around me. Chris' breathing was back to normal. "It's not your fault Alison. You couldn't have known." He kissed me on the forehead. "Don't worry about it, I'm not mad."

I buried my face in the crook of his neck. "I'm sorry. I ruined everything."

He brushed my hair to the side and kissed my shoulder. "No you didn't... I just freaked out a little, but now I'm okay."

I held onto him, feeling his heat. I was trying really hard not to cry. I sniffed, which made Chris tighten his hug.

"Oh, seriously? You're the one feeling bad and yet you're comforting me?"

He chuckled. "You make me feel better by letting me hold you. I'm doing this for my own selfish interest."

I sighed, my anxiety subsiding now that he was even cracking jokes. We stayed in silence for a few moments, listening to each other's breathing, feeling the heat transferring from one to the other.