28 - Anxiety

Christopher
***

As we ate, I listened to Alison attentively as she told me about herself and her life prior to Evergreen. It was surreal how I had never really asked her some basic questions before getting intimate with her. That was a testament to the undeniable attraction we had for one another, because we completely skipped the small talk stage.

That and also the fact that we had never gone on an actual date, the type normal people go on when they don't have to keep their involvement a secret.

As she spoke, detailing her short-lived time in France, an unsettling thought crept over me, but I chose to push it down. What was I doing? Why was I asking all these questions when I wasn't sure what I wanted with her? It wasn't as if we'd ever have a normal relationship, so why was I feeding that idea and hope?

I pushed those thoughts aside for now. I didn't care about the consequences, I just wanted her, all of her, her body, her person, her history. Besides, I was extremely curious about the girl who had completely enchanted me.

She told me that she was an only child and that her parents decided to move to the U.S. in search for better job opportunities. She had little to no family in France, and the ones she had didn't live in Paris, her hometown. She barely spoke to them, only on Christmas, but she seemed okay with not having a strong relationship with her extended family.

"I don't really remember anything about Paris." She admitted, taking a bite of her sandwich. "I have some memories of home, but not of the city itself. One day I hope to visit, to create a genuine bond with my homeland."

"That's interesting," I commented. "I had the impression that you had lived there for longer. Even if you don't have a strong connection with France, at least you have two nationalities."

"Always useful in case a war breaks out and you have to flea the country." She said playfully. "But what about you? Do you have any exotic nationality I don't know about?"

I cleared my throat. "My life is pretty mundane. I was born and raised here, went to school here, graduated here, got a job at Evetgreen. Nothing special to report, I'm afraid."

"And what about your family? Are you close?"

I knew she'd ask this. I was the only one to blame for her questions because I was the one to bring the subject up.

"We speak sometimes." I simply stated.

She was silent for a while, chewing away her food. I wasn't liking where this was going.

"What about siblings? Are there any more Dr Damon's in the world?"

Oh no.

Oh fuck no.

No no no.

"Just me." I said quickly, not looking at her. I got up and walked to the kitchen. I felt the need to create some distance, to hide my face.

She was just asking the same questions I asked her. Nothing wrong with that.

"Oh, that's a shame." She stated with that teasing voice she used so well. "The world could benefit from more people with your genes."