37 - Trip

Alison
***

My week was busy and exhausting. From babysitting Oliver to being put to the test by Gary at his studio, all the rest of my time was spent on painting. My illicit encounter with Chris in his office on Monday was the only time I spent with him. We exchanged texts here and there, but all I wanted was for the weekend to arrive so I could be with him.

On Thursday I ate lunch with Maddie. She needed me for the last touches to the hand sculpture. We ate quickly in the canteen and went straight to the studio. I couldn't stay very long because I had to be at Oliver's house at five.

The plaster sculpture was incredible. It was so realistic that it looked as if my real hand had been dunked in white paint. Maddie needed to get the details of my nails and promised it wouldn't take long.

While we were chatting away, both our phones went off at the same time.

"That's my email notification." Said Maddie, not taking her eyes from the sculpture. "I bet we got the same thing. Can you check it?"

Sure enough, we did receive an email from Mr Turner. In the recipient's section, all the students from our year were listed. I read the email aloud:

"Dear Students,

This Friday, November 1st (tomorrow), Professor Damon and I will be holding a meeting in Amphitheater 2 at five thirty for all students attending our courses. It is of utmost importance that all of you attend. We have very important news to share with you. I cannot give you any details at this time, but everything will become clear in the meeting. If for whatever reason you are unable to attend given the short notice, please inform me and I'll arrange a second meeting.

See you all tomorrow!

Best regards,
Mr Turner"

Maddie lifted her head, her big eyes boring into mine.

"Oh God," she said, taking off her protective goggles. "Do you think someone is being accused of fraud? Can't think of another reason why they'd call all of us on such short notice."

Neither could I. I texted David and asked him if he had any idea what was this meeting about. He was equally clueless, but also suspected someone got in trouble and they wanted to give us a sermon just to scare us.

"Oh come on, we're not in high school anymore." I said, trying to keep my hand still. "They can't punish the whole year just because of one person."

"Girl, I'm as clueless as you... Maybe it was more than one person who fucked up. I bet there are many of us who'd easily turn a blind eye to fraud if the opportunity came about."

I shot her an intrigued look.

"Not that I'd ever do it!" She said. I could imagine her shocked face under her mask.

In an hour she was done with the sculpture. She'd be assessed the next day so it was just in time.

"It looks incredible Maddie." I said, patting her on the shoulder. "If the teacher needs the reference work, I'll be here tomorrow. Just text me and I'll come down her to defend your work."

She chuckled and thanked me.

I kissed her goodbye and made left, walking in a fast pace to the bus stop. While I waited for it to arrive and take me to Oliver's house, I pulled out my phone and texted Chris.