Under the Stars: Sneak Peek Chapter

Chapter 1

It must be nice to be rich.

That's all I can think about as I make my way over to the elderly couple who ordered these piña coladas that I'm holding. They're sitting on the beach underneath a white and green striped umbrella, overlooking the ocean.

I'm careful with my steps on the sand as to not trip over my own two clumsy feet. "Here you are, Mr. and Mrs. Hemmings," I greet the couple once I've made it to them, slowly reaching out their beverages.

"Thank you, Remi, dear," Mrs. Hemmings remarks, inching her body forward and collecting the tall glass from my grip. She takes a sip, then presses her palm to her chest. "Delicious."

I smile at her. "Is there anything else that I can get you?"

"Just the check, dear," she says. 

"Just the check," I nod. "Got it. I'll be right back."

I make my way to the pool-front restaurant of Meadows, the ritzy and exclusive country club in Wilmington, which is where I'm working this summer.

When I got the job, I was hoping for a lifeguard position or something that would allow me the beautiful sight of my crush Jimmy Daniels in swim trunks, but I'm not one to complain. I'm grateful for this waitressing opportunity. Spending Mondays through Fridays elsewhere could be worse. Plus, I wouldn't have access to Jimmy like I do now. I know, I know, that makes him sound like some sort of physical object, but I can't help it. I want what I want, and I've wanted Jimmy for a while now.

I always thought he was too cool for me. Don't get it twisted; I'm not about low self-esteem, but I am practical. And guys like Jimmy Daniels don't go for girls like me. It's just the reality of the social class situation.

Ugh, I wish my best friend Bella were here right now. She'd know exactly what to say to pep me up. She and her boyfriend Nico are spending most of their summer traveling Europe with Nico's mom Gillian now that Nico's parents' divorce is finalized. While Bella was hesitant to go at first, Nico was insistent that she join. He doesn't go anywhere without the love of his life. Gillian was insistent, too. She loves Bella.

Speaking of Nico, I owe my job at Meadows to him. You see, Gillian Bradford knows the owner of this place, so she was able to help slip my resume to the top of the pile. Next thing I know, I'm being handed a uniform and serving food on silver trays to the upper-class population of Wilmington, AKA people like Jimmy Daniels and Nico Bradford, who can do things in the summer like lounge away on the beach and not have to worry about minimum wages or waking up at the crack of dawn. Not me, though, and not my coworker Veronica.

Veronica knows about my little infatuation with Jimmy. It's all the poor girl's been having to listen to since we both started working at Meadows a few weeks ago. But I'm grateful for her. It's nice to have a new friend while Bella's away.

"Rem, mind covering my section for me?" Veronica asks as she unties the white apron from her waist. "I'm taking lunch."

I tilt my head up to look at her side of the room, where I find North Carolina's most coveted golden boy Brooks Caldwell and his egotistical crew of rich kid airheads cracking jokes.

I mentally sigh. "Make it quick?" I tease, even though I'm being very serious.

I feel an obligation to like Brooks because Bella's close to him and she's dating his best friend, but I can barely tolerate the guy. It's been that way since we were kids, and nothing's been able to change that.

I make my way over to Brooks' table, a fake smile plastered across my face. Gotta keep things professional.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my favorite waitress?" Brooks says, flashing me a smile that's too charming to belong to such a douche of a human. 

I hate that I love his smile. I also hate that I love his 6-pack abs and 6-foot-1 frame; his perfectly chiseled jawline and piercing blue eyes; his sun-kissed skin that perfectly complements his light brown locks.

"What can I get you guys?" I ask, ignoring his sarcastic comment. I look down at my notepad, holding the pen to the paper because it's easier to avoid eye contact with Wilmington's finest specimen.

"How about a Sex on the Beach?" Brooks suggests, a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

For a second there, he renders me speechless, but then I come to terms with the fact that this is typical Brooks Caldwell behavior. The boy's a flirt, and a mighty good one, too.

"Hate to burst your bubble," I say with fake sorrow, "but we don't serve alcohol to minors."

Brooks shrugs his shoulders like he's unbothered by my comment. "All good. If I can't get the drink, how about the real thing, then? What do you say, Rem? Some sex on the beach. I'm game if you are."

His obnoxious friends snicker and I feel my nostrils flare. He's taunting me and it's embarrassing, but I have thick skin, and Brooks Caldwell will not break me.

"Pass. That's what Jimmy Daniels is for."

A bunch of "oohs" come from his friends, and I pride myself on winning that point. Feels good to come out on top.

But then I compose myself and ask, "In all seriousness, what can I get you guys?"

"Burger and a side of fries."

"Make that 2."

"Turkey sandwich."

The requests come in from everyone besides Brooks, who's leaning back on his chair with his arms crossed.

So, I huff, giving him the satisfaction of garnering my attention. "Brooks?"

He starts tapping his finger along the corner of his elbow. "Still deciding. But for now, a Coke will do."

I give him a quick nod, but before I can turn around, he calls out to me.

"Oh, and Rem? You might want to start looking for a replacement. Seems as though your boy Jimmy is a little...occupied."

My eyes follow Brooks' to across the room.

And there he is. Jimmy Daniels. Sitting a few tables down, making out with ex-head cheerleader Kelsey Abrams.

When I glance back at Brooks, he's looking at me with so much gratification that I feel the need to fire back – even though my job is on the line here.

"I'll be back with your virgin drink," I state with an evil smile.

I'm finally able to turn around, but I only get so far because the bane of my existence decides that he's not done pissing me off for the day.

"At least I'm not one," Brooks sneers.