Chapter 26

Nico comes our way, and he looks too gorgeous for his own good. I don't think I can do this. He's dressed in a fitted cream suit with a crisp white button down and caramel-colored leather loafers. His brown hair is gelled away from his face, and his eyes are covered by black wayfarer sunglasses.

"I'll see you later, Bella," Mark says before walking away. It's shocking to me that he doesn't stay to talk to his son.

Nico meets my stance, and I feel a smile form on my face. It's purely nerve-filled. Knowing me, the second that I open my mouth, I'll start rambling.

"You were going to leave without saying hi?" Nico asks. He pays Charlie no attention and is gazing at me.

"Uh, Bella, I'll wait for you in the car," Charlie says. I smirk at him and watch him walk away before bringing my eyes to look at Nico.

"I'm on the clock. Just came here to deliver something."

He lets out a breath, chuckling at the same time. "Why are you talking to me like that?"

"How am I talking to you?"

He pauses, and it's clear that whatever he's thinking right now is causing him some sort of distress.

"Like you don't even know me."

His words slice through my heart, so I feel the need to correct him. "Nico, you know that's not true."

"I don't know anything anymore, Bella."

I take a gulp and press my lips together. "I should get going. Charlie's waiting for me."

He nods his head, but I can tell that he doesn't want me to walk away.

"Bye," is all that he says, and something about his tone is sad.

"Bye," I whisper, and proceed for the driveway.

When I get back to the car, Charlie is on the phone with Wendy. He holds his finger up to me as he continues to nod his head at whatever she's saying.

"Got it. Will do, Wendy. Bye." He hangs up the phone and looks at me. "Change of plans. You're staying."

"Excuse me?"

"You're staying. Wendy said that she wants you to help out with the food and whatnot. She's paying you extra, by the way."

"Why me? Why can't you do it?" I blurt out.

"Trust me, I'd love the extra cash, but she specifically said you. She also said to call the store when you're done and someone will come get you."

"Unbelievable," I mutter under my breath as I slam open the door.

I return to the backyard, but this time, Nico is talking to his dad. I'm trying not to stare too long, but their conversation seems pretty heated. Mr. Bradford is doing most of the talking as Nico stands there with a cold expression on his face.

I make my way over to the banquet table, uncover the trays, and start organizing everything so that the table looks clean. Hayley helps me assemble the silverware and serving utensils, and I begin to help people with their plates.

"You're welcome," I tell the elderly lady who thanks me when I hand her a napkin.

From the corner of my eye, I see Nico making his way to the front of the house. I continue to smirk at the woman until she walks away, but I can't help but wonder where he's going. And soon enough, I find myself following him.

"Nico," I call from behind him, but he's walking too fast and I'm struggling to keep up. "Nico, wait up!"

"Don't follow me, BC," he orders, and I missed hearing it. BC.