Chapter 11

I've been scrummaging through my closet for hours. Literally, hours. Mom was right to ask me if I packed enough. Because I didn't. I mean, I thought I did at the time.

When Remi texted me asking me for my ETA, I told her no where near ready. And when she asked me why, I told her the truth. Because I have nothing to wear.

Remi, being the lifesaver that she is, told me she was on her way with several options to choose from. I told her great, so long as though options don't consist of miniskirts, high heels, or sparkles. When she didn't answer me, I took it to mean that that's exactly what she was bringing me.

I'm curling my hair with the curling rod when the door bell rings.

"Honey, it's Remi," mom shouts from downstairs.

"Tell her to come up," I shout back. Just a few more waves, and my hair is complete.

"Knock, knock," Remi says from the other side of the door.

"It's open," I tell her.

Remi strolls in wearing her typical party outfit - a sequined frilly dress with wedges - and her red hair is half-up.

"Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you were still in PJs," she jokes.

"This isn't funny, Rem," I tell her. I hate that I'm a nervous wreck. Tonight's the night of Trish's party and I know that Nico is going to be there because he texted me saying, 'see you tonight?' All I did was 'like' the text because I couldn't muster up a lie. I wasn't going to say 'can't wait', because I didn't want to see him. I didn't want to see him standing next to her.

"Will you relax?" she comes over to me and says. "Geez, you're freaking out more than I do when I'm trying to get ready for a party, and I freak out a lot."

"I'm relaxed," I state...in a very unrelaxed manner.

"Listen, I know you want to look good, but at the end of the day it's not the clothes that matter, it's the person underneath the clothes that does."

I give her a blank expression. Remi - the same girl who thinks Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is cinematic art - is trying to get deep with me.

"I didn't know we were playing therapist," I tell her.

"I'm serious, B. It's about confidence. It's about showing up to the party looking like you don't give a fuck. That's how you're going to attract people."

I walk to my bed and sit down on the edge. "Don't you get it, Rem? I'm not trying to attract people, I'm trying to attract one person. A person who's currently unavailable." I drop my head in my hands. "Ugh, I'm such a baby. I'm acting like Nico owes me something, when the guy isn't even remotely aware of my feelings for him."

Remi walks over to where I'm sitting. "So then why don't you just tell him, B?"

"Tell him what, Rem? That I loved him since the day that I met him?"

"Yeah," she whispers in a serious tone. Remi's usually not one to get frustrated in a conversation, but I'm seeing that side to her now. And I get it. She just wants me to be happy.

I think about what she's saying and contemplate it for just a second. Until I say, "I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because...," I stall. "Because I'm scared he'll tell me that he isn't."

"Isn't what?"

"Isn't in love with me, too."

Remi sits down next to me and turns her body to face mine. "B, Nico loves you."

"Loves me as a friend, yeah, sure. But there's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone."

Remi thinks about my words, but doesn't say anything. With the way that she's looking at me right now, I can tell that she feels bad for me. I hate it though; I don't want anyone's pity.

"Listen," she stands up and says, "why don't you go through the outfits that I brought you? See which one catches your eye." She heads towards the door. "I'm going to chill with your mom and Grandma Ruby downstairs because I smell chocolate chip cookies and we both know that I'm a sucker for Grandma Ruby's homemade chocolate chip cookies."

I peek through the bag of clothes that Remi brought over and then pick my head up to look at her. "Thanks, Rem," I tell her just as she's about to leave my room. "Not just for the clothes."

"Hey, what are best friends for?"

Like I predicted, Remi mostly brought me miniskirts to choose from. There is, however, one sleeveless dress that looks like it'll hit just above the knee, so I pull that one out from the bag and walk over to my length-view mirror. I hold the dress up to my body to picture what it would look like on. It's got a slight slit on the corner and a floral tie in the front. This could work.

When I come downstairs, I find Remi sitting at the kitchen table with Grandma Ruby and my mom. She has 3 chocolate chip cookies on her plate, and I'm not surprised. Remi's got the fastest metabolism I've ever seen.

"Ready?" I ask.

"Oh, Isabella, you look beautiful," mom gasps before Remi can respond.

"I second that," Grandma Ruby interjects.

"And I third that," Remi chimes in. "I had a feeling you were going to go with that one."

I do a little twirl. "I actually really like it. Might have to steal it from you."

"You're lucky I like you. I don't share my clothes with just anyone," Remi says as she stands up. "Ruby, thank you for the cookies. They were delicious. All five of them."

"Oh, good, I'm so glad."

"Carrie," Remi then walks over to mom, "always love seeing you."

"Me too, sweetheart," she says as she meets Remi in for a hug. "Have fun tonight, girls."

Remi walks over to me, her back facing mom and Grandma Ruby, and covers the side of her mouth to whisper, "Oh, we plan on it."