Chapter 20

Today's my last day of freedom before I start my job at Sweets. I don't know why I just phrased it like that when I'm actually looking forward to my part-time gig this summer.

Remi and I are currently strolling the boardwalk – ice cream in hand, of course. Chocolate chip cookie dough for me; mint chocolate chip for her. The sun is out and it's a gorgeous summer day.

When Remi picked me up, I had told her about me being at Nico's house the other night. I only told her because I know Remi would never give me crap for going over there. Despite the fact that Nico has a girlfriend, he's been my best friend for 9 years, and while I respect Cara's place in his life right now, I'm not going to downplay mine. I've been through a lot of ups and downs with Nico, and I'm not going to undermine that because there's another girl in the picture.

Remi and I take a seat on one of the benches that overlooks the beach. "Did you tell your mom about the Wilmington Summer Dance?" she asks me.

"Your ice cream's dripping," I tell her, purposely not answering her question. She looks at her hands, then uses the napkin that's on her lap to clean up the mess.

"If that's your way of avoiding the question then you're going to have to try way harder than that."

"Sorry, what was your question?" I pretend like I forgot even though I know exactly what she's talking about. The Wilmington Summer Dance - it's this new black-tie event that the town is putting together at the end of the summer. A live band, five-course meals, the whole shebang. Grandma Ruby was telling me and mom about it, but if you want my honest opinion, it sounds way too hoity toity for my liking.

"The Wilmington Summer Dance. Did you tell your mom?"

"Oh," I say. "And no."

Remi's eyes drop and she looks at me confusingly. "No?"

"Yes," I confirm. "No."

"Wait, I'm confused. Is it yes or no?"

"No," I tell her. "I didn't tell my mom."

She drops her shoulders and turns her head before looking back at me. "Why not? The dance is less than two months away and you need a dress."

"That's exactly why."

"Okay, now I'm really confused."

I let out a deep breath and push my empty paper cup and plastic spoon to the side of the bench. "I didn't tell my mom because I'd need a dress for this thing. A dress she won't be able to afford right now."

Remi's confused expression turns sympathetic, and I hate that I can feel her pity. Remi's family lives comfortably, and while she doesn't have the privilege of just spending money frivolously, she's definitely able to spend more than I can.

"B, you don't need a gown for this thing. I'm sure you can find a cute dress at a reasonable price."

"Rem, this is a black-tie party that we're talking about. Not just a party. A black-tie party. The whole point is for everyone to get dressed up in lavish outfits."

"That's not true. My dress isn't even that fancy."

"Remi, you sent me a picture of it. It hits the floor and has ruffles."

"Okay, but that's because I'm dramatic. Tara Hendricks showed me her dress and what I'm wearing right now is fancier."

"I'm not asking my mom to buy me a dress, Rem."

"Well then it's a good thing you're working this summer."

"Yeah, and I plan on saving that money, thank you very much."

"C'mon, B. What's the point of making money if you're not going to spend it?"

I look at her, baffled. "You amaze me, you know that?"

"Thank you!" she sits up proudly and smiles. She would take that as a compliment.

"We don't even have dates to this thing," I remind her.

"Yet," she emphasizes. "We don't have dates to this thing yet. Did I tell you my plan?"

I give her a curious stare. "What plan?"

"My plan!" she states like it's obvious. "I'm going to ask Jimmy Daniels to accompany me."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am." When I look at her like 'you can't be serious', she goes on. "What's the problem?"

"Remi, Jimmy Daniels is a pig."

"I'm going to pretend like you didn't just say that," she stands up and says, making her way to the trash can to throw out the sticky napkin that's covered in sprinkles.

"It's true! He hooks up with a new girl every day."

"So does your man, Nico."

"One - Nico is not my man, and two - he does not. At least, he doesn't anymore."

"Nico having a girlfriend doesn't change who he is, B."

"Then you don't know Nico, Rem. He's loyal. Most of the time, to a fault."

She looks down at me as I remain seated. "I almost forgot how defensive you get defending him. Almost."

"I'm not defending him," I assert, standing up to meet her stance. "I'm stating a fact."

"Then why don't you ask him?"

"To the dance?" I tuck my chin in and ask, and Remi nods mischievously.

"Hm, let's see," I tap my finger to my chin before responding. "Maybe because he has a girlfriend."

Remi makes a "pft" sound with her mouth. "C'mon, B. Even if he didn't, you would never ask him." She starts to walk away and I quickly catch up with her.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that Nico will never know how you truly feel about him because - for some strange reason that I will never understand - you're too scared to tell him."

"Nico knows exactly how I feel about him, just like you and Brooks know exactly how I feel about Nico."

"Do you really believe that?"

No.

"Yes," I lie.

Remi stops in her tracks, which causes me to, and then puts her hands on my shoulders to hold me in place. "B, I'm only going to say this once, so listen carefully. Nico has no clue how you feel about him. He never did, currently doesn't, and will never know if you continue to walk around your feelings when you're with him like they don't exist." I start to chew on my lip, and Remi takes her tone down a notch. "Listen, I'm only telling you this because you're my best friend and I love you, and I know how much you love him. The longer you wait, the more you'll regret waiting and the quicker you'll lose him. Think about what I'm saying. Think about what I'm telling you and maybe - just maybe - you'll want to go to the dance after all."