Chapter 30

The kiss is more like a long peck, but it still feels nice.

"Bella," Nico clears his throat and says once I pull away from Danny. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

I look at him like he's out of his mind. He has the nerve to ask me that in front of Danny. But then I compose myself as to not make his question a big deal.

"Sure," I say.

"Outside."

I continue to glare at him. I'm expecting him to burst out laughing; say something along the lines of "ha-ha, gotcha, just kidding". But when his expression remains serious, my expectations vanish.

"No. You can't," I state.

"It's important," he grits through his teeth, as if that's going to change my mind.

"If it's so important, then just tell me. Right now." When he doesn't utter a sound, I find my curiosity getting the best of me. I suck up my pride and stand up from the table. "You have two minutes," I whisper to him.

I feel Nico on the back of my heels as we make our way outside and in front of the restaurant. I turn around to face him and cross my arms together.

"What?"

"What are you doing?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You kissing Danny. That's what I'm talking about. He's not your boyfriend, Bella."

"Just because he's not my boyfriend doesn't mean I can't kiss him."

"Wow, okay. What happened to the Bella that I know?"

"You're not the only one who's allowed to change, Nico."

"Really? Me? I changed? Enlighten me, BC...how exactly did I change?"

I can't answer him. Because he didn't. Sure he has a girlfriend now, but he's still the same Nico.

"I don't know," I mumble under my breath. "Maybe it's just me then."

"Whoever this new Bella is, I don't like her."

"Because I kissed a guy that I'm into? Geez, grow up."

"No...because you're kissing a guy we both know that you don't want."

"Not that it's any of your business, but I happen to like Danny a lot."

"That's great, I'm happy for you," he says sarcastically. "Doesn't mean you want him. You don't want him like you want me."

I shake my head at him. "You're disgusting."

I begin to walk away, but he reaches for my arm and brings me back to where he's standing. I'm furious that he's taking my feelings for him and using them to his advantage; using them to feed his ego; to feel superior.

"But I'm right. And you know it."

I look at him harshly, but then my features soften when reality hits me.

"I think I'll always want you," I pronounce softly. By the look on his face right now, he wasn't expecting me to say that. "Happy? There, I said it. Now can I please go back inside?"

And just like that, he loosens his grip on me.

***

"You good?" Remi comes over to my side of the table and asks me.

"Great," I lie, taking a sip of water from my glass.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Nope. I want to celebrate your birthday and not worry about stupid boys that aren't worth our breaths."

"Okay. But just know, I'm here for you no matter what."

"I know, Rem, and I love you for it."

She kisses me on the forehead and then makes her way back to her seat.

"Everything okay?" Danny asks me, and I feel his hand glide across my back.

"Yup," I tell him.

I catch another look at Nico, who's now facing Cara. She's nestled in his hold and I can't make out what they're saying to each other. But I don't even care anymore. I'm here with Danny, and that's that.

After dinner, we make our way to the lounge part of the restaurant, which has a long bar, a bunch of cushioned white couches, and a small dance floor. Danny and I are walking side-by-side. Our hands touch here and there with every step that we take, but they're not interlaced. Nico and Cara are behind us, and that just makes me want to take Danny's hand in mine to prove a point, but I refrain.

The lounge is pretty dark; the only light comes from the small lamps on the short tables by the couches. The music is not my kind of music, but the DJ is so entertaining that he makes the fast tempo beats worth listening to. I start to tap my foot to the rhythm, which Danny must pick up on because he eventually asks me if I want to dance.

I'm a little embarrassed - not to dance with Danny - but to dance period. At the same time, though, I want to have a good time tonight.

"Okay," I smile at him and say. He reaches his hand out for me to take, and leads me to the dance floor.

"Where are you two headed?" Remi asks with a mischievous smirk on her face.

"To dance," I say. "Grab Josh and come join us!" I tell her of the guy that she's been crushing on.

I'm starting to feel the rush and excitement of the music that I don't even notice that no one's followed us to the dance floor. It's just me and Danny, and a bunch of strangers, but it doesn't bother me one bit. I feel carefree, and I don't think twice about the way that I start to move my body. I just go with the music. My hands wave in the air as my hips sway from side-to-side, and before I know it, Danny places his hands gently around my waist. We move together and get lost in the music.

It's not until thirty minutes later, when Danny and I make our way back to our friends, that Remi tells me Nico left.