Chapter 4

Grandma Ruby wasn't kidding when she said she redid her backyard. It looks nothing like the one that I grew up running around in. It's much better. There are two hammock hanging chairs beside a fire-pit that looks like it's cemented into the tile around it. She also added more lighting, which really brightens the place up.

"I have to show you my tomato garden," Grandma Ruby excitedly says as she leads the way to the back. "Ta-da!" she gestures to the plants. "It's only been a few days since I started growing these, but just you wait. Once I have a full set, I'm going to use them for my famous chopped salad."

"Wow mom, this is incredible," mom exclaims as she looks over the garden. "You did all this yourself?"

"I did, I did! The only thing that we're missing now is a pool. But, gosh, those things are so damn expensive to build."

"It's perfect," I tell her.

"Oh, good, I'm so glad," she claps her hands together and remarks. "Okay...back to the dining table before my burgers start to burn."

"What can we help with?" I ask.

"Nothing, darling. Everything's been taken care of. Just sit back and relax."

I take a seat in the middle of the table and lean my back against the chair. Grandma Ruby decorated it with a light blue runner, matching silk napkins, and clear glass plates. The peonies in the sequined vase must be fresh because they smell deliciously strong.

I look around the backyard and keep my eyes fixed on the small pond that separates Nico's house from Grandma Ruby's. Because it's only a small body of water, I'm able to make out his mansion flawlessly. The size of his house doesn't compare to the size of Grandma Ruby's ranch, that's for sure.

When Nico and I were thirteen and had 10 PM curfews, we'd sneak out of our houses and take the canoes by the dock to visit one another. I was always afraid of canoeing at night, so it was mostly Nico visiting me. I smile at the memory for a while, but eventually push it to the back of my mind.

Before Grandma Ruby steps outside with the food, I text Remi to tell her to come over after dinner. I'm so excited to see her. She went to the same school as Nico and Brooks, so she was my source of information for everything.

Shelly Michaels is sloppy drunk and trying to make moves on Nico. was the text that I got from her a few weeks ago when Nico threw an end-of-the-year house party.

Brooks got suspended from school for a week because he got caught smoking weed in the boy's locker room. was the one from last month.

I usually get these updates from Nico, but lately, he hasn't been as present. I've tried not to think too much about it because I can only imagine how hectic his senior year was.

"Dinner is served!" Grandma Ruby says as she exits the house holding a massive white dish.

"This looks delicious," I say once she's placed the burgers down.

"Wait until you see the s'mores brownie. It might be my best one yet."

We waste no time digging in and catching up. Grandma Ruby tells us what she's been up to - mostly working on the backyard and playing bridge with her friends - and then I tell her about colleges that I'm considering. Once it's mom's turn, Grandma Ruby starts to fish.

"And the dating? How's that been?"

"You know...a few here, a few there," mom says nonchalantly.

"She barely dates," I interrupt. Mom gives me an annoyed look, so I bring a forkful of salad to my mouth and keep my gaze down.

"And why's that?" Grandma Ruby asks.

"I don't know," mom shrugs. "I've been busy."

"Busy? Busy with what?" This is the part where mom says that work is taking over her life, which I guess isn't a complete lie.

"Work. You wouldn't believe how many people are looking for homes these days."

"Carrie, darling," Grandma Ruby reaches for mom's hand and covers it with hers, "I know how much your job means to you, but don't you want to be happy?"

"I am happy, mom."

"I mean with someone else?"

There's a long pause before mom answers. "I don't need anybody else. I have my daughter, my friends...you. That's enough for me."

I know my mom well enough to know that she's lying. Of course she values the current people in her life, but she's also adamant about not allowing someone into her life who's capable of breaking her heart. Though it was amicable, the divorce with my dad left her heartbroken and scarred, so I get why she's afraid to put herself back out there.

"Maybe I'll invite Adam over for dinner one night," Grandma Ruby proposes. "I know that you two hit it off last summer."

"Why does everyone keep saying that? We went to dinner one time. That doesn't even count as a date."

"Carrie, darling, when a man pays for your meal, it's a date in my book."

"Mine too," I raise my hand and say, but mom shakes her head playfully.

"What am I going to do with the both of you? You're like two peas in a pod."

Grandma Ruby and I look each other and smile. That we are.