Chapter 50

I carve out a good three hours of my day to get ready for the Bradford party. I spend the first chunk of time waving my hair with the curling rod. I bring the side pieces back, clipping them together with a pretty, rhinestone barrette that Grandma Ruby gave me, and then get started on my makeup. I've always liked to keep things au naturel, which is why I don't apply anything more than just blush and mascara. I do, however, opt for a red lip. I remember going into CVS and purchasing the shade on a whim, but never used it. Well, today's the day. Once my hair and makeup are done, I slip on Remi's dress. Luckily, we're pretty much the same size. Speaking of Remi, I really wish she was invited.

"Isabella," mom calls from her room. "Ready to leave in 5?"

"Yes," I shout back.

I head for the kitchen, where mom is standing with Grandma Ruby. She looks beautiful, wearing this simple, yet sleek and beautiful lavender dress that she happened to pack.

"Well, aren't you a vision?" Grandma Ruby remarks when I enter.

"Thank you!" I dip my head down and smile. "Mom, you look beautiful."

"Yeah?" she touches the top of her hair and asks.

"Yes!"

Grandma Ruby glances at her watch. "So, ladies, shall we get a move on it?" She's not coming to the party, but she is driving us. Up until this morning, she was planning on attending, but she woke up with a bit of a cold and decided that it was best for her to catch up on some sleep. The lady's been out and about these last few days, and I think that all of the socializing is finally catching up to her.

I keep quiet the entire car ride there. I'm anxious about tonight; anxious about seeing Nico. And when we finally pull up to his house, I feel even more apprehensive.

"Good evening," the valet guy opens my door and greets me.

"Hello," I say back, then walk up to mom, who gives me a nervous smile.

"Ready?" she asks.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I joke.

Mom wraps the cream-colored shawl around her shoulders, and we head towards the front of the house, where waiters and waitresses stand on both sides, holding silver trays with glasses of champagne on it. I'm happy when mom takes one; she's going to need it.

We walk through the inside of the house, which happens to be beautifully embellished. There are several cocktail bars assembled throughout the room with more waiters handing out appetizers; one in particular offering me and mom some sort of tuna crispy rice dish. If my stomach wasn't in knots right now, I'd gladly accept.

Mom and I make our way to a circular table that's filled with floating candles and numerous place cards, and we scan the table until we find our names in black penmanship.

Then we step outside, and I can't help but take in the stunning atmosphere. A massive white tent occupies the enormous backyard, and inside is a crystal drop round chandelier that takes my breath away. There must be close to 100 tables inside the tent, all of which are decorated with white silk table cloths, fancy chinaware, and a huge candlelight centerpiece that's mixed with white orchids. In front of the tables is a stage where some guy wearing a tuxedo is currently belting out a rendition of 'Fly Me To The Moon' by Frank Sinatra.

I spot Brooks standing with his parents a few feet away, so I wave to him and he waves back.

"Honey, I'm going to say hi to the Caldwells. Want to come with me?"

I know that I should, but I'm so focused on finding Nico. "I'll be there in a second," I tell her.

I search the room for Nico, and just when I think that he's nowhere to be found, I suddenly hear, "Bella", and my body turns.