Chapter 39

After lunch, we visited this jewelry shop that sells gold-plated everything. Grandma Ruby splurged on something for me, mom, and Remi. She said that it was her pleasure, and a way to thank us for joining her on this fun excursion.

That's Grandma Ruby for you. Always giving. Never asking for anything in return; never taking. I'd have a problem with it if she didn't find pure enjoyment in providing for others.

"Thank you again for today, Ruby," Remi says. We're all sitting on a wooden bench in a park, chowing down on Italian ices.

"Would you stop thanking me!" Grandma Ruby jokes. "I had the best day with my favorite girls."

"Ditto," I say.

Grandma Ruby peers down at the watch on her wrist. "Should we get a move on it, ladies? I'd like to beat the traffic."

"Sounds good to me," mom says.

"Me, too," Remi chimes in. "It's perfect timing, actually. I'm supposed to stop by this store to pick up my dress for the Summer Dance."

"Oh, I heard about that!" Grandma Ruby remarks. "I'm happy that the town is putting it together. I hope that they get a great turn-out." She shifts her body to face me. "Isabella, darling, are you going to that, too?"

"Nope," I say the same time that Remi says, "yes".

"No," I reiterate, giving Remi a stern look.

"And why not?" Grandma Ruby asks. "I'm sure that there are plenty of guys who would be honored to take you."

"It's not that."

She waits for me to say something else, but when I don't, she continues. "Well then...what is it?"

I look at Remi, who's looking down. Now she feels bad...

"I can't find anything to wear," I say. It's technically not a lie. I mean, I did find something, but the price tag is nowhere near my budget.

"That's impossible! I know tons of places."

"It's fine."

"Isabella, darling..."

"I said it's fine, grandma." My tone is harsher than I intend it to be - and I never speak to my grandma with that kind of attitude - but I just want the subject dropped.

"Something's the matter, isn't it?" Grandma Ruby presses, and when I don't answer, she turns to Remi. "Remi darling, would you please explain to me the real reason why my granddaughter doesn't want to go to this dance?"

I give Remi a look like she better not say anything. But when she looks from Grandma Ruby to me with a nervous expression on her face, I know that it's no use. Grandma Ruby is about to get the truth, and there's nothing that I can do to stop it.

***

The first stop that we make when we get back to Wilmington is Milly's. Remi ended up spilling the beans to Grandma Ruby, so now she knows the real reason why I don't want to go to the Summer Dance. Grandma Ruby has made it her mission to do whatever she can to buy me this dress.

I'm already walking into the store with no expectations because I know that the second that Grandma Ruby flips over the price tag, her jaw will drop. And I don't blame her. Spending $1,000 on a dress is just ridiculous. I don't care how fancy this dance is.

"No way is this right," Grandma Ruby says as she looks at the tag.

"Oh, it's right," I tell her.

"Isabella, sweetheart, this dress is beautiful. But I'm sure we can find you something just as nice to wear to the dance," mom says.

The thing is, it's not just about the dress. Let's be real - this dance isn't me. I'm not like these rich kids who enjoy spending their entire summer prepping for things like this. And I don't want to pretend to be something that I'm not. Going to this dance will make me feel that way. How could it not?

"Why doesn't anyone believe me when I say that I don't want to go to this thing? Seriously, I couldn't care less."

"But it'll be fun, and something outside of what you know," Grandma Ruby says.

"Exactly! Which is why I don't want to go. It's not my speed and it doesn't bother me that it's not." I look at Grandma Ruby, then mom, then Remi. "Will you guys just trust me? Please."

Grandma Ruby huffs. "Okay. But the second that you change your mind, you tell me and we'll figure out a solution."

I reach for her hand. "I will."

Mom rubs my arm with her hand and Remi smiles at me. I may have exaggerated my words a bit, but the gist of is true. At the end of the day, I'm a small-town girl who has to work for the things that she wants. That's how it was. That's how it is. That's how it always will be.