Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter 43:

I spent the entire morning in my bedroom which I had locked to avoid Abhimanyu. I assumed that since it was Saturday, it would be easy once he left for work. But surprisingly he has not left for office yet. He goes to the office every day including weekends so I am not sure why he is still here but I can still hear the sound of music coming from the living room and Lakshmi Kaki doesn't play any music, no one does.

It's almost 1 pm and I have no choice but to leave the room since I am hungry. I skipped breakfast as well. Usually, when I drink, I get a massive hangover the other day but surprisingly that was not the case today so it was not difficult for me to skip breakfast.

I make my way towards the kitchen and notice that there's no one there and no food as well. Maybe Lakshmi Kaki didn't come today. I decided to make scrambled eggs as it had been some time since I last made it. I don't have much cooking skills but I somehow survived this long. Taking out pan and eggs I get ready to make my only speciality and one of the few things that I can actually make.

"What are you cooking?" I was startled by the sudden voice and my fingers touched the hot end of the pan.

"You really need to stop doing that," I say while caressing my hand. Abhimanyu suddenly grabs my hand and puts it under running water in the sink.

"You should be more careful Ishita."

"Really? I was not careful and it wouldn't have happened if you didn't scare me."

"I'm sorry, is it hurting? Do you want me to call doctor?"

"Doctor seriously? I barely touched the hot pan. It's not that bad. It'll heal in no time. And you can leave it now, it's not hurting that bad now." he leaves my hand and I go back to what I was doing only to see a burnt egg on the pan. I try to scrap the burnt egg from the pan which was proving to be impossible.

"What were you doing in the kitchen? You do remember that you can't cook right?" Abhimanyu took the spatula from my hand went on to put the pan in the sink and started washing it.

"It's not like I can't cook. I can only cook a few things yes but it's not like I'll burn the place if I try to cook."

"Yeah, sandwich and scrambled eggs I know" he picks me up suddenly and makes me sit on the island to which I don't react or try not to react but the blush on my face says something else.

"That's not it I can cook more than just two things," I say bringing myself back to the topic.

"Really? What else can you cook?"

"Boiled eggs?"

"Ah right! Now chef if you don't mind tell me what you want to eat. I'll make it for you."

"No, I want to have scrambled eggs that to made by me. But then I want to have egg burji as well but chopping is something I can't do" I get from the counter and put the pan that Abhimanyu just washed.

"Okay, I'll make burji and you cook scrambled eggs. How's that?" he suggests and starts to take out veggies from the fridge.

"No, I want to try and make burji, you can be my assistant and chop veggies for me"

"Okay, chef" he mock salutes me and gets back to taking out the vegetables.

"Where's Lakshmi Kaki?"

"She was not feeling well so I asked her to go home. I thought I'd cook for us but went to my room as you didn't come for breakfast so I thought to make lunch instead. But you were already cooking something. You want anything other than onions and tomatoes?"

"Yes, coriander leaves and green chilies."

"Okay, got it."

"Why are you not at the office today?"

"You don't like me staying at home?" he sits on the stool opposite to me and starts chopping.

"I didn't mean it like that. I meant you always work on weekends so what made you take leave from work today?"

"I wanted to spend time with you but you were not ready to get out of your room. So I didn't disturb you."

"So you didn't go to spend time with me?"

"Yes"

"What if I had stayed in my room all day" he shrugs before replying

"That would have been impossible as you can't stay without food. And even if you had I would have not disturbed you other than for food for which I would not have forced you."

"So what would have been the point of staying at home?" this time he looks at me with the intensity that I look down immediately. He picks up my chin with the knife and forces me to look at him.

"Ishita, when I said that I am going to ear your trust that means I will do everything to earn it. And also I'll do anything to make you give this marriage a chance"

Maybe it was the look in his eyes or the way he said it but it made my heart flutter. 

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late update. There was so much going on with the festivals and all. Hope you all are enjoying Navtri as much as I am.

Do vote, comment, and share. 

Happy Reading!!