Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

*Abhimanyu's POV*

I woke up with a call from my mom saying that she'll be arriving with Buaji in an hour. I tried to wake up Ishita but was unable to since the door was locked.

Sitting here in the living room with mom and buaji all I can think of is yesterday night. I shouldn't have been rude to her right after I apologized. I always fu*k up things with my anger.

"Abhimanyu, buaji is asking something" mom's voice brings me back from my thoughts

"Huh... umm... Sorry I was thinking about something related to work. What were you saying buaji?"

"I was asking about Ishita, where is she?" Buaji repeats.

"Um... She was tired yesterday night so I didn't wake her up." I say trying to make an excuse. "If you want I can go and wake her up" I added.

"No, Abhimanyu it's okay let her sleep," mom says giving me a knowing smile.

"It's nothing like that mom. She was just tired from all the chores" I say scratching my head. Little does she know that Ishita has no chores to look after. I wonder how she copes up with staying idle for the whole day. I would not be able to survive even one hour.

I hear noise coming from the other side of the living room and find Ishita standing there awkwardly. I look at her clothes and fear the reaction of Buaji. I turn towards mom and she has the same look as me. I know mom and she has no objection to whatever Ishita is wearing but Buaji is a little traditional.

"God Sashi, look at your modern bahu (daughter-in-law) and see what she is wearing," Buaji exclaimed.

"I... um... I am sorry. I'll be back." Ishita mumbled and left the room.

"Didi you scared her" mom said

"I scared her? She is the one wearing short clothes. Abhimanyu, is this how she always dresses? You should ask her not to dress like that outside her bedroom" Buaji says

"Poor girl was not even aware of us being here. Abhimanyu said na that he didn't wake her up. And it's not like we announced our arrival in advance otherwise I am sure that she would be dressed more appropriately" mom

"But still she should not step out of her room like this"

"Buaji it's only me and Ishita living in the house. And it's not like people visit us often. She just didn't know that you were coming" I say and get up to leave.

I knocked on the door of Ishita's room. Ishita opens the door looking beautiful in a perfectly pleated black saree. It has a golden border nicely kept on her shoulder paired with golden earrings, bangles, and our wedding ring.

Her hair and smile look perfect. She looks perfect.

"How could you not inform me about your buaji and mother's arrival?" she questioned bringing me out of my thoughts.

"They surprised us today morning. I came to wake you up in the morning but your door was locked. Thank god they didn't see you leaving or coming to this room" I sighed. "Sorry to put you in such a spot. Buaji is a little old-fashioned, please ignore her" I added.

"Little?" I hear her mutter. "Anyways, what are we going to do at night if they decide to stay?" she asked

"I know she can be too much sometimes. She'll leave by tonight, don't worry" I assured her and left the room.

Ishita joined us in the living room shortly. She added sindoor and mangalsutra to her looks. She was looking beyond perfect with the new addition to her looks. She looks mine.

I know she is wearing it only because of mom and buaji but still for some unknown reason I feel happy. I gesture to her to touch buaji and mom's feet. I noticed that buaji ignored her but mom gave her blessings. She also complimented her saying how beautiful she looks in a saree and asked her to join us for lunch.

"We'll have to eat food made by a cook because your bahu can't get up on time to cook. I don't know what will happen to today's generation," Buaji complains again to my mom.

I noticed that Ishita was about to sit and I gestured to her to serve dinner. I know we can serve our lunch ourselves but buaji being traditional she would have insulted Ishita more on traditional values. And I didn't want that. Ishita serves lunch for herself once she is done serving others. Before we can even start with our food, Buaji again insults Ishita. I really don't understand her problem.

Mom again handled the situation by calming down buaji.

Ishita picked up the dishes and washed them. I tried to help her but she asked me to leave. Understanding that she doesn't want buaji to insult her more. I left.

At night when I came to my room for my phone I noticed 15 missed calls from Ishita. I was sitting with buaji and maa in the living room and forgot my phone in my room. I called her back only to find out that she doesn't know how to cook.

She is crazy, why did she agree to cook when she doesn't know how to.

I make an excuse about the office to my mom and buaji and leave the house. I enter the kitchen of my own from the window like some criminal.

The kitchen was a mess. There was a bowl with flour which looked like a paste. And the vegetables were tried to be cut in smaller chunks but were nowhere near small. There was flour and pieces of vegetables everywhere.

I quickly start cooking, ignoring the mess. We even had our first normal conversation throughout our marriage.

Much to our dismay buaji and maa decided to stay the night. I prepare for their stay in the guestroom on the ground floor. Just so they don't come upstairs and notice our separate bedrooms. But not wanting to risk it, I plan to make Ishita sleep in my room.

"You don't have to worry, even I didn't know how to cook when I was married. Abhimanyu's dad also used to lie and help with cooking" I heard mom say just when I was about to enter the kitchen. Not sure why but I hid behind the pillar and continued to listen to their conversation.

"Really?"

"Yes, he is one to teach me how to cook. I am glad that you and Abhimanyu have the same type of relationship, his dad and I share." I see Ishita nod uncomfortably. I call Ishita, saving her from the conversation.

I know that our marriage is not like any other marriage and we don't have a relationship like my parents. I tried to leave the past in the past but I just couldn't. Whenever I see myself believing that she has changed she just goes and proves me wrong.