22.

⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆ Aonung POV ⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆

I'm at the edge of our rockpool when a shadow falls over me.

It isn't slim or small enough to be Kai'wä, and anybody else is not welcome.

Burying my annoyance, I look up to find possibly the most unwelcome face in the clan.

"Yes?" I say coolly, standing up to face Ta'ru.

"How's it going with Kai," he replies with the same cold forced careless tone, blue eyes boring into mine.

The sound of her nickname from his skxawng lips makes my body burn with a fierce sudden anger.

Or jealousy.

I don't reply.

How could she have fallen for this ridiculous, stupid skxawng?

This dick that kissed other girls and never paid much attention to her?

She deserves so much more than this, more than anyone.

Even I don't deserve her.

But she isn't mine, not actually.

Not in the way I want her to be- the way I need her to be.

"Hey," Ta'ru says, his aloof expression giving away to annoyance. "I'm talking to you."

"What then," I snap, moving onto the sand and towards the village.

Ta'ru scoffs, looking annoyed I'm not paying full fucking attention to him.

"I said, when are you going to be finished with her?"

"What?" I hiss, my body on fire as I freeze and turn to stare at him, who just scoffs and smiles.

"You're really gonna make me ask for a third time?" he asks, a stupid smirk on his stupid face.

"What do you mean finished with her?" I growl.

"I know you Aonung," Ta'ru scoffs. "You can't hold a relationship to save your life. You've probably fucked as many girls as you've hunted fish. So why don't you just drop Kai now, go back to your old ways and let the rest of us have a turn?"

My blood freezes at the words have a turn. Because even though I've made my fucking mistakes, I'm never going to let Kai'wä become some object for guys to 'have a go' with.

"Why don't you watch your mouth," I hiss, "before you make a mistake."

Ta'ru just laughs stupidly. Mistake.

"Please," he scoffs, "have you really grown to care for her? Are you really acting like you, the womaniser of the clan, give a flying fuck what she does? Did all the chasing and pleading rub off, soften you up?"

I hiss under my breath, balling my fists and gazing across the sand. On the beach lining the village, I see Kai'wä playing with Tuk, her dimply smile bright even from over here.

But unlike usual, the sight of her and that intoxicating smile doesn't soothe me. 

It only fuels the furious fire inside me, particularly when Ta'ru continues.

"Well was it at least worth it?"

"What?" I growl, now dangerously close to snapping.

"Was she as good as everyone's hoping?" Ta'ru says, oblivious to my growing ire. "All sweet and oblivious and overwhelming innocent?"