8.

⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆ Kai'wä POV ⋆☾⋆࿔࿐⋆𓇼⋆࿐ ࿔⋆☾⋆

What. The actual. Fuck.

"Us? Date? Dating?" I splutter, nearly choking in surprise.

"Yes," Aonung says simply, and I glare incredulously at him.

"Why? Why would you want that? Why would you want people to think that?"

Aonung sighs, and looks away.

"Look Kai'wä," I know you overheard my conversation with me and my mum before the party."

"Uh, no," I pretend, but Aonung interrupts me.

"It's fine. But obviously she's trying to find me a mate and is super anal about everything I do, so if she thinks I'm dating someone, then she'll back off and leave us alone."

"But won't she think we'll end up mates then?" I whisper in a horrified voice.

"You don't have to sound so disgusted princess," Aonung grumbles. "I happen to be great at sex-"

"Eywa no!" I shout, covering his mouth before he can continue, but he just licks my hand and I pull it away in annoyance.

"Don't worry, it'll only be for a short bit. Just to pretend I'm promised and she won't have to find me a mate. I don't want to be tied down."

"Yes yes, you're a free spirit, unchained from all responsibility yes yes," I say, rolling my eyes and crossing my arms to glare up at him.

"So?" Aonung says, looking expectantly down at me.

"So what's in it for me," I say, tilting my head at him.

"I know how you feel for Ta'ru," Aonung whispers, and I blanch.

What the fuck. I swear to Eywa that I will strangle Rotxo in his sleep and feed him to a thousand akula.

"But I also know he wasn't too happy that we kissed at the party," Aonung smirks. "So if we pretend to date, we can make him super jealous and then you can end up together and make little warrior babies or whatever."

"Shut up," I grumble, shoving him, but I hate that this idea makes sense.

And what's worse, I'm considering it.

"So you want to use me as your pawn," I say, glaring at Aonung.

"Firstly, no, because we both get something out of it, but secondly, you technically used me as your pawn first when you kissed me."

I growl, but the stupid skxawng has a point.

"You don't have to give me an answer now," Aonung says, and I'm surprised at the gentleness in his tone.

I glance out at the water, where the sun is sparkling jovially over the crystal water, where Tsireya and Rotxo are teaching the Sullys.

Then my gaze trails over to a particular unwelcome but infuriatingly fit figure striding along the beach towards us.

"Shit, it's Ta'ru," I hiss in panic to Aonung.

"Well, looks like you do need to give me an answer now then," Aonung says, and my panic rises.

But before I can say anything else, I look up to find Ta'ru right in front of us.

"Can I talk to you Kai'wä?" Ta'ru says simply, not looking at Aonung.

"Uh..." I say, not meeting his gaze. Instead, Aonung catches my eye, and I can instantly tell what his look means.

"Your choice, princess."

Stupid fucking skxawng.

"Kai?" Ta'ru says, his gaze following my look with Aonung.

"Why?" I say, folding my arms and taking a step closer to Aonung.

I instantly Ta'ru's brows furrow and his gaze flick to the closer distance distance between Aonung and I.

"Kai'wä, I just want to talk-"

"About what?" I say, trying not to sound either.

"Kai'wä-"

"She's good, bro," Aonung says, moving forward as Ta'ru steps closer, reaching for me.

⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆ Aonung POV ⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆

I can already see the plan working. Ta'ru looks incensed, but of course Kai'wä doesn't notice. She never knows when a guy is into her; her mind doesn't process she's attractive.

People find her attractive, I mean.

"Why are you with him?" Ta'ru says, his voice quiet, and I wonder if I'm the only one that sensed a tremor of danger through it.

"Because... because..." Kai'wä says in an even smaller voice.

She looks up at me, and I feel her slide one hand onto my shoulder, and I suppress a little shudder at her touch.

"Because we're together," I finish for her, glaring at Ta'ru.

"You..." Ta'ru says, and I'm satisfied to see the angry shock marked so clearly on his face. "You and him?"

"Yes," Kai'wä says slightly defiantly.

"No," Ta'ru shakes his head. "Really? You hate him Kai'wä. Remember?"

But Kai'wä is shaking her head, forcing a smile onto her face.

"Is there a problem with me and Aonung being together?" She says, blinking innocently up at him.

Of course, Ta'ru exhales and shakes his head.

"No, obviously not. I- no. I just thought..."

"If you thought anything was going on, then last night you shouldn't have-"

"Hey," I say, nudging her gently. "Want to go for a swim?"

She glances up at Ta'ru for a moment before nodding.

"See you around," Kai'wä says, not meeting Ta'ru's eyes.

He turns and walks away without another word, and Kai'wä's hand quickly drops away from my shoulder.

I try not to feel a small shiver at the loss of contact; her hand was small and warm.

But we've started this.

No going back now.