12.

⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆ Aonung POV ⋆。˚⋆ฅ^𓆝୨♡୧𓆝ฅ^⋆˚。⋆

We train the Sullys by going for a reef swim.

They're slow and need to breathe often, and Rotxo and I just spend most of the morning exchanging signed conversations underwater, until Kai'wä catches us talking shit about Lo'ak and drags us up to the surface to scold us.

Soon after, we head back to shore.

I walk right beside Kai'wä, as Rotxo is still shooting me suspicious looks and my sister keeps giggling stupidly knowingly whenever she glances at us.

Kai'wä doesn't say anything, but I notice how she speeds up slightly to walk beside me too.

"So," she says, smiling friendly at Kiri. "How are you enjoying Awa'atlu?"

Kiri looks slightly surprised to have someone talk to her.

I don't know why Kai'wä's making the effort; the Sullys are freaks that are a waste of our time.

"I haven't really done that much," Kiri says carefully. "And I'm not that good at making new friends."

"No need," Kai'wä says, grinning at the forest girl. "You're my new bestie."

"Hey," Tsireya protests. 

"Lo'ak's your new bestie," Kai'wä grins, sticking her tongue out at my sister.

I don't miss that both Tsireya and Lo'ak blush, and Kai'wä catches me wrinkling my nose.

"What?" she whispers, so the two of us can only hear. "They're cute."

"He's strange," I whisper back. "A frea-"

Kai'wä swats me hard in the arm, and I wince.

"You shouldn't hit your boyfriend," I complain.

"I hit whoever I want," Kai'wä grins, her eyes sparkling amusedly as she says, "sorry."

"So you're dating?" Lo'ak asks disbelievingly, the weird hairy ridges on his brows shooting up. "You're dating fish-lips?"

Kai'wä laughs incredulously at the name, and I scowl.

Somehow, only she can get away with calling me that.

"Yeah so?" I scowl.

"Nothing," Lo'ak shrugs, "just wasn't expecting someone like you to be able to pull her."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I grumble, my annoyance with the weird freak growing. 

"Nothing," Neteyam says quickly, pulling his skxawng brother back by the arm.

Kai'wä's watching amusedly with Kiri as Lo'ak rolls his eyes and tugs his arm free, but stays silent.

After a moment of glaring sullenly down at Lo'ak, I feel a smaller hand slip onto my arm and lightly pull me back too.

"We will teach you to breathe," Tsireya says to fill the awkward pause as Kai'wä gently but firmly directs my gaze away from Lo'ak.

"We'll see you guys later," Kai'wä says decisively.

Rotxo glares suspiciously at us, and his sister rounds on him, wrinkling her nose at him.

"What Ro?" Kai'wä snaps. "We aren't leaving to go fuck, so pull this stick out of your ass before I kick it."

Everyone looks slightly taken aback, but I can see Lo'ak and Tsireya snickering quietly.

"Good," Kai'wä says happily as Rotxo stays silently, and nods at the rest of them. "See you."