[33]

XXXIII

XXXIII

It's currently day two of this 'plan' we put together and things have already begin taking a toll on us.

To start, Luca and his men are slowly closing in on New York and considering the fact that he believes my empire is now 'weakened', he could attack the Cortez's at any given moment.

But we are practically prepared for anything, so if he makes the first move we wont hesitate to step in.

God I hate this bittersweet feeling.

I will be finally able to take Luca down, but at what cost? Even my own best friend thinks I'm fucking dead. I can't let my own feelings jeopardize me, my family are my number one priority at the moment.

My thoughts are interrupted by the front door swinging open to reveal Fran in a panic. I squint my eyes as she turns her head to look behind her several times and pulls me into a separate room.

"What is it?" I ask, giving her a knowing look.

"Marco and the others are here, Mom invited them. Stay upstairs until I text you, okay?" She explains, her voice fading into a whisper.

Marco's here?

"What? Okay but why would Mom not tell m-"

"Im serious, Lana, just please go upstairs." She cuts me off, before putting a finger to her lips.

Her finger doesn't move from her lip as footsteps and voices begin to echo throughout the mansion. I nod in understanding and sneak upstairs, making sure not to make a sound. I turn around to Fran once more but her presence has been replaces by complete emptiness.

I roll my eyes to myself, in the fact that I don't have a clue what they are discussing downstairs. I have to find out, I can't wait until later.

I make bad choices all the time, may as well make another.

I stare blankly at the wall for a moment for no apparent reason, before curiosity gets the best of me and I sneak downstairs. I'm sly, and devious, and if I play my cards right, I can eavesdrop without being discovered.

I position myself perfectly in between the dining room wall and the doorframe, then lean over and rest my ear on the wooden paneling.

It takes a minute, but my ears eventually adjust and I can finally make out the voices from within.

"So what do we do?"

"Kill him."

"No shit, we all want him dead. Lana especially did."

I can instanly tell that voice belongs to Marco.

From the warm and inviting tone of his voice and the thick Italian accent lacing each and every word, hearing him speak surfaces memories from the past.