[22]

XXII

XXII

3...

For every count, the beat of my heart grows louder and stronger, thumping away in my chest like the beat of a drum.

2...

I am prepared and above all, ready to fight for myself and my family.

1...

"Now!" James yells, breaking the silence and the sound of my heart banging away in my chest. I don't waste a second before kicking the door open with the heel of my foot and springing out into the hall. I sharply turn my head to look left and right and acknowledge the emptiness of the hall. Only a few metal bullets lie stationary on the floor.

"Clear!" I yell to James and Fran running up close behind me. "Search the rooms, I'll cover downstairs." I say with confidence lacing in my voice. James nods and runs down the hall, disappearing around a corner. Fran moves the other way, shooting the lock of a door and barging in.

As she departs from my gaze, I twist the cylinder on my gun and storm down the hallway to the spiral staircase.. I tip-toe down the stairs making sure to closely examine each and every corner of the building. I remove a hair tie from my wrist and tie my hair into a low bun to keep it out of my face.

After what seems like forever, I reach the end of the stairs and creep around, listening closely for any slight sounds.

Weird... Nothing.

I don't take the silence as a reason to let my guard down. I continue creeping around until rejoining with Francesca, James and a few others. Each individual shares the same blank expressions on their faces.

"They can't be gone yet, they were just here a few minutes ago." James suggests, glancing around nervously. "Well where are they then?!" I snap.

"No idea." A familiar voice calls out from behind the others. My mother emerges from the crowd and my I feel a sense of relief knowing she is okay.

She pulls me into a small hug in appreciation of my presence and I return the favour. She quickly pulls away and stands assuredly besides me. "Its Luca Martinez and his men." She announces.

I share a pernicious glance with James and we both turn back to my mother at the same time. "Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yes, Milana." She replies. I don't question her any further, and don't find it hard to believe that Martínez and his men would do this.

"How do they know we are here?" I question, locking my fingers together. "No idea." My mother replies.

"What do they want with me?" I ask. My mother takes a deep breath and rubs my shoulder with the palm of her hand. "It's not just you, Mila. It's all of us. They are trying to bring down the entire Russian mafia and you are the key to it." She explains.