[11]

XI

XI

"I appreciate it, Nico. But I am more than up for the job." I speak, voice clipped and filled with dark rage. "In that case, you'll have to prove it." He replies with his accent making every word seem charged with importance.

"Why the hell should I prove myself to you?" I ask, standing up from my seat. Marco pulls me back into my seat with a tug and forces me down. "It's not just to me, Milana. It's to the entire Mafia." He replies, leaning over the table.

James shoots me a look as if to say 'what?'. I shrug my shoulders at him and mouth 'I don't know'. Most of the Cortez family seems unbothered by whats going on, they are more focused on the food than anything else.

"Nico, is that really necessary?" My mother asks. Her eyes scream concern and I flash her a smile in appreciation. "Yes. We need to know if she is prepared." He snaps in an irritated tone. My sister rolls her eyes at him, clearly bothered by his sudden announcement. My mother doesn't object any further and falls silent along with the rest of the room.

"What do I have to do?" I ask as I take another sip of my wine. "Not much. Just break a few bones."

His voice made it clear that he was very much serious.

***

*The next day*

Marco pulls the car onto a side road and turns to me, I meet his gaze with a confused look. "The location's right around the corner. It's a butchers shop." He says in a calm, unhurried voice. I step out of the car and start pacing around.

I can't believe i'm about to go and shake down a business.

"Don't tell me your having second thoughts." Marco says as he shoots me a cold look over his shoulder. I walk in front of him and tilt my head to the side slightly. "Don't be absurd. This is what it takes to become Don, right? I'm all in." I say. "Good, you need to prove to your family you can rule as your father did." He replies. "I know what I have to do, so stop trying to boss me around. I'll handle this MY way." I snap, slamming the car door.

"Only an idiot would tell you what to do." He answers back with a heavy sigh. His proximity makes it hard for me to pay attention to the words that come out of his mouth. "You did it a bunch of times. Does that mean you finally admit to being an idiot?" I ask with a touch of playfulness. Instead of biting back, Marco pulls out a gun and tries handing it to me.

"What are you doing?" I question, staring at the weapon in front of me. "You wish to be sworn as a Don? A don needs a gun." He says, pushing the gun closer to me. I lean into him closer. "Says who?" I ask. "Don't be so stubborn. You need to pass Nico's test." He snaps, almost freezing me under his cold gaze. I snatch the gun from him, turn around, and start walking to the shop.

I enter the butchers shop with Marco on my heels and see a furious man behind the counter. "Can't you read the sign? We're closed!" He shouts with a voice that could cut glass. "We're not here for the pork." I reply with intensity, making eye contact with Marco whose gaze is fixed on the man. "More Levine goons? That's just great." The strange man says, anger creeping into his voice.