[10]

X

X

*Three days later*

𝐓𝐡𝐞 entirety of the previous few days were spent being interrogated by my entire family and dealing with their questions. I was also put on bed rest which I tried to refuse multiple times, but my sister especially would not take no for an answer. I am healing well and the pain has reduced dramatically.

Today, the Cortez family is having dinner with my family to strictly talk business. I'm not really sure what the 'business' is but I assume it has to do with the Mexican's as they are still on our radar, according to my mother.

I am awoken by a thunderous banging on my door. It's 6am and the guards are off duty for a little while so I rush to the door to see who it is. I fiddle around with the lock and quickly swing the door open.

"It's fucking 6am wh-"

I'm taken aback when I perceive that the early visitor is Marco.

"Little early for dinner, don't you think?" I joke. Marco shoves me aside, ignoring my comment, and enters my home. 

"I want you to marry me, Lana." He proposes. I freeze and wait for him to start laughing or something but his face remains still.

"Marry you? No way." I reply, crossing my arms.

I look at him in disbelief, but his expression still remains dead serious. "Are you high?" I question. He rolls his eyes and stands a few inches before me. "Marry me and I'll protect you. You don't have to actually like me. Think of it as like a business deal." He explains as I look at him eagerly.

"I guess that makes sense." I agree with Marco's strange proposal and stroll further into my mansion. "Sure it does. We'll get engaged, then, once our families are untied, we'll call it off and be on our way."

"I still need to think about this" I say, trying to process what is happening. He nods and we both sit down at a table, opposite from each other. "If we are doing this, we are doing this on MY terms" I demand, pulling out a notepad and tossing it to Marco. "We need set rules"

"Let me guess, no sex?" He asks, picking up a pen and tapping it on the paper. "Actually, sex is the last thing on my mind right now" I reply.

"You're still so innocent, Lana. We'll see how you feel a few days into this."

I open my mouth to retort but am cut off by Marco's phone ringing. He drops the pen on the paper and groans before standing up to take the call. He disappears outside for a few minutes and quickly returns back.

"What was that about?" I ask in curiosity. Marco ignores my question and tosses the notepad to me. I look at him in confusion until he finally sits down again. "Write your own rules, I have to go. I'll see you at dinner, sweetheart." He announces before heading towards the door.