Chapter 5

Theodore

After finishing our business in the neighboring pack, we were on our way home. It would take us a couple of hours to reach home.

"Have you thought about who will be the next Alpha? You are getting old. We have to train the Alpha for a couple of years before you give them the responsibility." James words pulled me out of my trance.

"I haven't thought about the future Alpha. I know it's high time for me to make a decision. I am not going to lie; I am worried about the pack's future. We need a strong, resilient, fearless, and strong-minded Alpha. We have more enemies than friends," I replied.

"And the credit goes to who?" James raised his eyebrows.

You can't blame me for that. I have done all those things for the pack's well-being. You either attack first or be attacked by others.

"You know that you are known as the devil. People have lost count of the killings. After the passing of Eleanor, you were indestructible; you destroyed everything in your way. You were hungry for power, and you never looked back. You turned your grief into anger. Our pack achieved everything because of you," James said.

"Sometimes life throws you curveballs that you can't dodge. Being in the pack reminded me of Eleanor. I wanted to stay out of the pack, so what's better than to go out there and cause a war? I wanted to have control over something after losing everything. It feels like I want to forget the past, but I know it will come to haunt me in the future. I did everything in rage. I still hear the wailing of people in sleep. I hope all the lost souls are at peace with the Moon Goddess," I confessed.

"Do you think Clara will be the next Alpha? Technically, she is in line to be the next Alpha. Have you had this discussion with her?" James questioned me.

"We had talked once, but she doesn't seem that interested in the role of Alpha. I don't want to force her into something she doesn't want. I have done enough damage to her, and I don't want to make the mistake of forcing her. I want her to be happy," I replied.

Finally, we reached the pack on Saturday. We had two days to pull off this birthday party. I wanted to compensate for our lost time now. Mother took the decision to handle the party. She knows Clara inside out and is the perfect party planner. Clara's maternal grandparents will arrive on the day of her birthday.

I went to Clara's room to have a much-needed talk. "Can I talk with you for a moment?" I asked.

"Yes, sure. When did you return from your trip?" Clara asked me.

I came here in the morning. Do you need anything? Is everything going according to plan? You are turning 18. I know that I haven't been the best father to you. If I could go back in time, I would change everything. I want you to be happy. Have you given any thought to being the next Alpha in line?

"I know you were absent in my childhood. I don't resent you for anything. I know you were out there fighting battles to make our pack what it is now. The planning is going great. I don't see myself as Alpha. I don't think I have what it takes to be Alpha," Clara replied.

Are you sure? You can give me the answer in a few months.

"Okay, Father," Clara responded.

Mother outdid herself. She threw a beautiful birthday party for Clara. Clara was enjoying herself, which made me happy. I went for a run to calm myself. I didn't realize I had been out for more than an hour. I decided to return to the party.

When I reached the party, there was a spring floral scent in the middle of autumn that I had never smelled before in the pack. I went closer to the scent when I suddenly realized what the smell was.

"MATE!" my wolf screamed.

🍀🍀🍀