Chapter twenty eight

As they sat at the restaurant, the tension was palpable. Nkem could feel the disapproving gaze of Marco's father on her. She had never felt so uncomfortable in her life. She tried to keep her composure and not show how much she was affected, but it was becoming harder with each passing moment.

Marco noticed her discomfort and took her hand under the table. She looked at him, and he gave her a reassuring smile. It was a small gesture, but it made her feel a little bit better.

"So, Nkem," Marco's father said, breaking the silence. "Tell me a bit about yourself."

Nkem took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. "Well, I grew up in Lagos, Nigeria," she began, "and I came to Italy for college. I graduated with a degree in Public Relations and now work as the head of PR for a tech company."

"Hmm," Marco's father grunted. "And how did you and my son meet?"

Nkem looked at Marco, who was already answering the question. "We met in college, during a lecture. We just started talking and hit it off."

"I see," Marco's father said, taking a sip of his wine. "And what are your plans for the future, Nkem?"

"I plan to continue to work in PR and maybe start my own PR firm someday," Nkem replied.

"Well, that's all well and good," Marco's father said, leaning back in his chair. "But you have to understand that my family has certain expectations when it comes to marriage. We are Italian, and we value tradition and family. We want someone who will fit into our family and our culture."

Nkem felt her heart sink. She knew what was coming next.

"And to be honest, Nkem," Marco's father continued, "I don't think you are the right fit for my son."

Nkem felt tears forming in her eyes, and she quickly excused herself from the table. She walked to the restroom and locked herself in one of the stalls, trying to compose herself. She couldn't believe what had just happened.

Marco was beside himself. He had never seen his father act like this before. He wanted to go after Nkem, but he knew he had to stay and talk to his father.

"Dad, what was that?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm just being honest, Marco," his father replied. "She's not the right girl for you."

"But why? Because she's black? That shouldn't matter."

"It's not just that, Marco," his father said, taking another sip of his wine. "She's not from our culture. She doesn't understand our traditions, our values. It just wouldn't work."

"But I love her, Dad," Marco said, his voice cracking. "And I know she loves me too."

His father sighed heavily. "I'm not saying you can't love her, Marco. But you have to think about the future. Think about your children. Do you really want them to be caught between two cultures?"

"I never thought of it like that," Marco said, feeling defeated.

"Look, Marco," his father said, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I just want what's best for you. And I don't think this girl is it."

Marco didn't know what to do. He felt torn between his love for Nkem and his loyalty to his family. He knew he had to talk to her and figure things out. He left the restaurant, hoping to find her and make things right.