Ch. 34: Moment of clarity

Stacy woke up to a distant scent of cologne invading her nostrils. Apart from her heavy breathing and the EKG monitor beeping indicating that she was still… alive, the room was silent.

She slowly opened her eyes, squinting in attempt to sharpen the blurred images before her. Stacy wondered for how long she was out, and what exactly had happened? Then it all hit her back at once, the memory of shots being fired started to fill her mind.

Her small moment of recollecting the previous events was interrupted when she noticed Aiden. The man was fast asleep in a chair right next to her bed, head pressing against Carl’s chest—the guy was accommodative, currently caught up in running fingers soothingly inside Aiden’s dark hair.

She looked at the two oblivious men with a small smile lurking behind her lips. Despite the chaotic situation last night, Stacy could tell how much they meant to each other. They would literally die for each other—wasn’t that rhapsodic? She took in Aiden’s face, his stubble was freshly trimmed—no signs of last night’s tension hanging about—most importantly, his jaw seemed perfectly fine.

Carefully trying to reach out for a bottle of water on the bedside stand, Stacy accidentally hooked Carl’s attention. He turned his head and gazed at her. “Thirsty?” he said softly, shaking Aiden from his slumber. “Hey, she’s up.”

“Yeah,” her voice croaked out a reply.

 “Let me get it for you,” Carl leaned to scoot the bottle, popped the lid open and handed it over to her. “Here, have some.”

“My hands are functional you know?” Stacy exhaled deeply.

“I know, but I was nearer… saved you lots of time and energy.” Carl countered back. “You’re welcome.”

Stacy scoffed and stared at Carl unbelievably, “Now we have a problem because I didn’t say thank you to begin with.”

“Would whooping your bratty ass solve this problem?” Carl deadpanned.

A twitch appeared on Stacy’s lips. “Now we have a solution.”

Aiden listened to the two bickering at each other for a while then he groaned. “So much for a quiet morning.” he mocked a scowl. “How are you feelin’?” he directed the question to Stacy, eyes glimmering with palpable concern.

“I’m not in too much pain,” Stacy turned to Aiden and grinned. “I like him, he’s a keeper.” She gestured at the other man.

“And you’re a brat.” Carl scoffed, however the amusement in his eyes didn’t go unnoticed when Stacy stuck her tongue out at him. “What are you, two?” he broke into a laugh.

“Depends on who’s asking, really.” She looked quite thoughtful.

Dr. Singh suddenly walked in. “Good morning, hope I’m not interrupting?”