Ch. 1: Savage murderer

1: Savage murderer

1: Savage murderer

“Babe, don’t forget our scheduled appointment with the pastry chef at one o’clock this afternoon.”

On the way out of his elegant office, Carl spared a quick glance over his wrist watch and noticed he was already running ten minutes behind. He was only going to make it at one o’clock on the dot if he opted to bend a few traffic rules. Nothing new there.  

“I will be right there on time babygirl.” Carl replied in an assuring tone.

“Is your lunch program flexible today?” Nandi, Carl’s stunning South African fiancée who had chased her acting passion to Hollywood and created a name for herself in the acting industry by snatching a couple of Oscars’ asked over the phone. “I was hoping we could grab a quick lunch at Yang Chow, it’s been long since we ate from there.”

“I guess we can work something out.” Carl said to Nandi softly. Stopping by his three year term secretary’s desk, he knocked at the edge of the wooden furniture making the young man jolt. “Dillon, will you clear the rest of my afternoon schedule.”

“Sure thing Bossman.” Dillon replied with a small smile. “Have a great lunch.”

Carl nodded in appreciation, “you too man, and no sleeping on the job.”

“I had a really long night,” Dillon said sheepishly as he straightened himself up.

Back on his call, Carl deliberately lowered his voice into whispering decibels, knowing very well the timbre of his gravely deep whiskey voice always managed to drive his fiancée crazy. “Are you alone right now?”  

She inhaled sharply and whispered. “Behave… there are people out here alright?”

“What have I done?” Carl gasped feigning perplexity. “I’m just an innocent man asking an innocent question.”

“You’re not innocent and you know it.” Nandi’s words were laced with an impish giggle which drew a smirk over Carl’s lips.

 They both hung up after that.

It was a miracle Carl John Morrison, the savvy, straightforward and incredibly fine-looking vice president of Vanity Silver Group of Hotels was able to make it out of his office, considering how the company was trading on a thin cotton thread.

From dusk to dawn, Carl worked his ass off, trying to sign new deals with investors that could possibly redeem the drowning company’s former glory.

It’s a good thing the upcoming wedding which had caused a hype all over tabloids and gossip magazines was preplanned and already paid for long before the company started showing roots of financial dilemmas, otherwise with a Black Knight threatening to buy off his parents’ hard earned legacy for a sick price, Carl wasn’t sure if he’d have gone for a fancy wedding at all.