Ch. 29: Start a war

Ch. 29: Start a war

On an isolated desert ranch with a dry lake bed, occasional dunes, large grounds and a mountain vista that adds to the Americana Trailer Park aesthetic, two brutish men sharing similar features which easily tipped-off their sibling relationship sat across a small table playing chess. 

“You think he’s going to show up?” The young looking one, Griffin Wallace asked as he contemplated his next move, a bishop rolling in-between his fingers. “He didn’t sound too invested, like he didn’t really care.”

“Oh trust me he cares and he’s going to show.” Zion Wallace the older one said with confidence, eliciting a slight nod from his brother. “Make a move already will ya?”

Once the bishop touched down and knocked out a rook, Griffin smirked. “Now it’s your turn.”

“You see a pawn has the least value but if you lay your game with strategy, a pawn could become your most prized piece.” Zion said as he was pushing a pawn at the end of the board and to put emphasis on his point, he replaced the weak piece with a queen. “Checkmate.”

Griffin stared with a grave look on his face, jaw slackening. “That was…” he trailed, speechless.

“That brat inside the trailer and Aiden are not going to be our main focus here.” Zion stated. “Those two are simply pawns and pawns usually die first while protecting the king.”

“And in this case Carl Morrison is the king?” Griffin asked with a curious crease to his forehead.

“Exactly,” An evil grin crawled on Zion’s face making Griffin shudder from the inside. Sometimes his brother scared the crap out of him but there was nothing he could do. Zion called all the shots between them. “but remember, pawns are extremely important because they have the ability to promote when they reach the end of the board that’s why you have to eliminate all of them first.”

“You want to kill two innocent people?” Griffin asked with a perplexed frown, he was slowly getting agitated. “They have nothing to do with any of this… Carl is your only target here.”

Eyes narrowing into thin slits, Zion glared at his younger brother daring him to show his defiance. “And what else would hurt Carl the most than watching his lover beg for life in front of him?” his dark soulless eyes stared dead-on Griffin, boring deep into the young man until he averted his own gaze in submission. “Don’t forget the guilt of Aiden’s kid dying as collateral damage.” he smirked. “That would destroy him for sure.”  

“We don’t even know if the two of them are into each other like that.” Griffin argued, not being able to contain his frustration. “Aiden wanted to kill Carl, remember he almost ruined your plan when he had the guy kidnapped for whatever reason?”

“I’m way ahead of you little brother,” Zion responded with conviction. “I’ve been keeping tabs on both of them and we might have scored more than we bargained for.”