Ch. 14: The talk

Ch. 14: The talk

“Aiden, are you okay?” Carl whispered. “Talk to me man. You’ve been quiet for way too long.”

His throat constricting, Aiden blinked as unshed tears distorted his vision. “There’s one more thing I need to know.”

“Yeah?”

“One night, Yasmin told me she wasn’t feeling okay.” Aiden whispered with a tremor. “I went to the pharmacy to get her some meds and when I came back—”

Unable to tear his eyes away from Aiden, Carl swallowed. “What happened?”

“Someone hurt Yasmin.” Aiden shook his head, his eyes glistening. “There were obvious signs of sexual assault. Dark, fresh purpling bruises on her wrists and why else would she change her previous clothes when I got back?”

“Jesus…”

“But then I saw your football jacket on the floor,” Aiden licked his dry lips and held Carl’s stare prisoner, unwavering. “I connected the dots…”

Carl’s eyes instantly widened. “You… you think that I’m the one who hurt Yasmin?”

“You tell me Carl, what was your jacket doing in her room at that specific time and hour?”

Carl pursed his lips but didn’t answer.

“I asked you a question, Morrison.” Aiden pressed.

Bloodcurdling chills scampered through Carl. “I—I don’t know.” He mumbled and lowered his gaze to the ground. “I always kept my jacket in the locker room so maybe someone else took it there.”

Aiden glanced uncertainly at Carl. “Why would anyone do that?”

“How am I supposed to know?” Carl stared at him, stifling his own tears. “I lost every possible contact I ever had with Yasmin as soon as you guys left Crest Academy. You even moved from where you used to live. When you asked her about the incident what did she say?”