[21] Hidden Feelings (2/2)

During their junior high school years on a Sunday afternoon, they all had to attend cram school.

Gu Xiao wanted to skip for a moment to check on the stray cats that he discovered a week ago.

Since Wu Fei's mother always dropped them off, she also ensured they entered the buildings completely, so he didn't have time before class started to check on the cats.

And even after lessons ended, Wu Fei's mother would pick them up. She was a rather punctual person.

Gu Xiao wore a cap and a mask as though he didn't appear suspicious enough already. Now, he looked like he was robbing this school.

Even if the teachers caught him running away, they wouldn't know his identity, at least. Unless they checked the roll. He doubted he would get caught, since he was only sneaking out for a short while.

All the teachers were in classes, so he went through a hidden exit covered by bushes and overgrown plants.

There were no security cameras in that area since it was connected to the playground. While he was dashing to the secret passageway, he suddenly tripped over something and face planted onto the floor.

"What was that?"

He adjusted his hat and glanced back, only to see a boy sitting between the bushes, hugging his knees tightly.

He had short black hair and rounded hazel eyes. It surprised the strange boy to see someone passing by this hidden pathway, that the two just stared at each other, not saying a thing.

"Are you alright?" Gu Xiao asked, breaking the quietness.

The boy blinked in confusion, and another short silence reigned over them. He was the one who tripped, yet he was asking if he was alright.

That was definitely strange.

However, that wasn't why Gu Xiao asked whether he was fine. Instantly, he darted his head left and right to ensure the teacher was coming their way.

"Are... you alright?" the stranger asked.

"Me? Yeah? Wait."

He went into a state of panic, unsure of what to say since he didn't expect to see another person here while he was trying to skip.

If this boy told the teachers about him cutting classes, then that would be troublesome. If his mother found out, she would definitely give him an earful.

Gu Xiao examined the bitter-faced boy and locked eyes, gazing directly into those clouded eyes as if covered by a thin mist.

He found himself stepping closer, only to see the boy slowly shift back with eyes smeared in distaste, as though cautioning him not to proceed any closer.

Yet, Gu Xiao couldn't blame him, judging by his unusual appearance that made him look like a thief.

It might've been his imagination, but the corner of the boy's eyes were tinted pink. Gu Xiao started stressing even more and sweat dripped down his forehead from anxiousness.

Something sparked in his mind, and he rummaged through the plastic bag he was holding.

The boy watched him dig through the bag filled with food, only to see him hand over a packet of tissues and a small bottle of strawberry milk.

A brief exchange of silence befell them once again, and Gu Xiao let out a cheerful laughter, hoping to lighten up the atmosphere.

Seeing the boy sit on the ground, hiding between the overgrown bushes with his arms hugging his knees, stirred this unfathomable emotion to swell in his chest.

"Here, here, don't cry," he laughed, the corner of his lips suppressing his cheeks as his eyes formed into crescent shapes.

Even with the hat casting a shadow over his eyes and a mask covering his mouth, it was obvious that an enormous smile was pasted over his lips.

The boy allowed a long silence to respond for him, his lips slightly separated in confusion as he pondered on his words.

"... I'm not crying?"

"Oh, you looked like you are, or you will soon. It's not good to skip class but skipping is okay sometimes. Here. Drink this. Even though I look extremely suspicious right now, I'm also a student here."

Without allowing the boy to answer, he shoved the tissues and the strawberry milk at him, leaving no moment for refusal.

When Gu Xiao realised how much time he had wasted, he spun around and prepared to run away, but before he could leave, something tugged his sleeves.

Glancing back, the boy was holding the edge of his jumper, and he tilted his head up.

"...Your name..."

"Are you going to snitch on me? Well, my name is He Rong. Bye-bye!"

Both He Rong and Gu Xiao were the same height then, and since he had a hat and mask on, there was no way anyone could tell the difference between the two. Especially since the mask also made his voice sound muffled.

He felt bad for using his identity in case this boy indeed snitched on him, but he would just clean up the mess later if that happened.

✎✎✎

After a few weeks, He Rong realised that the Beijing boy who thanked him out of nowhere and even started following him was attracted to Gu Xiao, not him.

He Rong's obsession with Gu Xiao grew even more prominent, and he wanted to drag anyone near him away.

After realising that Gu Xiao had drawn someone else towards him with his good-natured character, the resentment towards those around him only budded into this bitter hate and jealousy.

Upon noticing the naivety of the boy he attracted, he wanted this stranger to know his place.

This haughty pride and stubborn shame.

At first, he was simply going to play around with him, but when he found out his identity of coming from such a well-known and wealthy family, his interests started piquing even more.

He Rong couldn't fathom why Gu Xiao was like this. No matter how hard one attempted to grow closer to him, he would always set a clear barrier from the beginning, that the kindness he offered would simply be all there was, and he wouldn't allow them to know anything else about him.

Gu Xiao might've behaved differently to others, but this was the impression he gave off to He Rong. He irritated him so much, but he was also infatuated with him. Infatuation and obsession. To possess him.

Watching Gu Xiao's lashes flutter and the redness of his lips, He Rong kissed him once again.

In that moment, when He Rong's eyelids lifted, his lips still connected with the other, they met with Gu Xiao's. Gu Xiao's eyes were wide open in complete shock.